Featured I just bought almost 15 pounds of antique buttons.........

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by vintagerobin, May 22, 2019.

1. vintagerobin

vintagerobin Well-Known Member

I'm going to be researching these for quite a while and trying to list them a few at a time. Are there good websites for terminology and styles of buttons? I have a collector's book but it isn't enough. I know that using the right names for things can make a world of difference.

I've sold a lot of antique buttons in the past but there are some here I've never sold. For instance, there must be several pounds of small glass in brass settings buttons about 1/4" across. I don't know what to call them.

So, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Pictures?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. vintagerobin

Taking pictures of several thousand buttons is a little beyond me at this time. I just need some resources for now.

4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Well I wasn't expecting a picture for every darn one - LOL!!!!!!!
    But this could be a start - ("small glass in brass settings buttons about 1/4" across.")
    My wife is into buttons for all the sewing and knitting she does and I though if ya posted a few pics she might be able to help................ that is all!

5. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Well, you could spend $300+ on "The Big Book Of Buttons", which is basically the bible for button collectors. Or, you could browse ebay completed for things like "metal buttons", "glass buttons" and so on and see what they go for and how the listers are describing them. Should help identify the more common ones at least.

There's also http://www.nationalbuttonsociety.org/index.html which you could join to get lots of useful information and resources. Otherwise, just google search for button collector sites and see what's out there.

Christmasjoy, judy and vintagerobin like this.
  6. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

7. Bookahtoo

vintagerobin - where did you get the buttons?

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

.. so next time Book can beat you to them? :kiss:

9. Bookahtoo

Oh, I am obsessed with buttons. :D

But I'm also interested whether they are a "combined" lot, or came from a collector, or were the lifetime savings of a thrifty seamstress, etc. It makes a difference.

10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

11. vintagerobin

A local Maryland auction.

12. vintagerobin

I think they were a collector's lot. It was the lid to a printer paper box full of bags of buttons. They were sorted mostly by type

13. vintagerobin

I'm sorry. I came home Saturday with a truckload of dolls and today with thousands of buttons. I am truly overwhelmed. I needed some shortcuts for my research or I would need to walk away from this stuff for a day or two and get my s%^t together. :)

I did take one bag and do a little search and work on eBay. I found out the little brass and glass buttons are waistcoat buttons. My next step was to decide how to sort them because it turned out that I had 2 large bags of that type of button.

When I get them sorted I'll probably post some pics. I finished sorting the waistcoat buttons by color and type. Now I'm going through a huge bag of cut steel buttons.

14. vintagerobin

Thanks everyone for the links! I think I had some of them bookmarked at one time but lost them somewhere.

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  15. Bookahtoo

Oh My God I Want Those Buttons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ARGGGHHHHHHH
    (sorry)

16. vintagerobin

This is the bag I'm working on now. My current sorting is just a major sort. I'll probably need to do a more detailed sort later. (I think I'm going to need more baggies.)
    :nailbiting:

DSC09935 (1024x768).jpg

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Holy guacamole; that'll keep you occupied for a while!

Christmasjoy, kyratango and judy like this.
  18. vintagerobin

19. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

20. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

No doubt, these are collector's stuff (the cut iron...)! Maybe it would be easier and far less time consuming for you to make mixed random lots of 10 or 20, and let the collectors bid. Sure there will be bidding war! Just list no more than 10 lots at a time...
    I often see that in "job lots of broken jewelry for repair", and prices get high for mainly junk with eventually one good piece:woot:

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted