I just bought this little item in a charity shop, I think candle snuffer, other ideas? age?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Sepia, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Sepia

Sepia Member

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Combination wick trimmer and snuffer.

Pat P, scoutshouse, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Sepia

Sepia Member

Could be, though I've got a wick trimmer (which wouldn't double as a snuffer particularly well) so not to sure about that, I'll give it a try. Any idea of age. I might try cleaning it up to see what it's made of

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

That was my first reaction too, but on closer examination, think not. You could use it as a snuffer, but doesn't seem optimally designed for that. Why does it have the little legs that keep most of it raised from the surface it sits on? Do think heat is involved, just not sure how.

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I said that because that is the way my grandmother always used hers. I don't know about a specific reason to have the legs.

Actually this one's end construction is more effective at snuffing out a lit candle than trimming the wick.

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bronwen,
    They had little feet to keep them from 'sticking" to the finish. A little heat and they would "melt" the finish.
    greg

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Have always known them to be 'candle snuffers & trimmers'.....but if you come up with something different, I'd be interested in hearing about it!!!!! Although on closer look at yours, it looks more like just 'snuffer' than trimmer too........have a couple of pair......they're just so lovely.....what with the flickering candles being so much safer now......they don't get much use now... but still like to burn the beeswax candles now and again!!!!

Pat P, scoutshouse, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  8. Sepia

Sepia Member

I think the legs are just to make it easier to pick up, you can slip your fingers straight in to the handles. Whilst it's some sort of metal, it's quite delicate so I don't think it would be great for heat. Honestly, I'm not sure it would be great for anything but was kind of cute :D

Pat P, scoutshouse, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Can't imagine it getting terribly hot no matter how many candles were snuffed one after another. And an edge of the working end does sit on the surface, acting as the third leg of the tripod. I see no way to use it to cut anything. Lifting it away from the surface would make it (probably a 'them', like scissors, except in NY) easier to pickup without scraping a bit. A puzzlement.

Pat P, scoutshouse and judy like this.
  10. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Well, that shoots my idea of a badly designed lampwork tool to bits. :joyful:

temp01.jpg

Pat P, scoutshouse and Bronwen like this.
  11. Sepia

Sepia Member

Hi Jivvy,
    I like your thinking, I'd never have thought of that. I will use them as snuffers but now you've got me thinking.

12. Sepia

Sepia Member

Trouble is they are unprotected iron so would get rather hot in lampwork I would have thought. However as I've never done any lampwork, what would I know

13. Jivvy

As I said, "badly designed." :smuggrin:

Pat P, scoutshouse and Bronwen like this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

SINCE mine are among the missing when I just went looking for them I snagged these, just like mine...off the 'boards'......snuffer/trimmer (you can see the blade inside the box that does the 'snuffing')!!! They do the job beautifully - about 5 1/5" long!!!:)

ZZZZZZZsnuffers-trimmers.jpg

My just wick trimmers.....
    xZZZZZZWICK TRIMMERS.png

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Pat P, scoutshouse, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  15. Jivvy

16. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Pat P, scoutshouse, Jivvy and 2 others like this.
  17. Sepia

Sepia Member

Thanks. I knew you guys would come up with something.

Pat P and scoutshouse like this.
  18. Sepia

Sepia Member

Well, I've finally tried them out and whilst they did put out the candles, they are not very efficient as they get covered in wax as they have to cover the whole wick. So, pretty but not much use. They didn't cost a fortune so no harm done and look good on the dresser

Pat P likes this.
  19. tinderbox

tinderbox New Member

I am new to this group and late to this post but I hope I can help you out a bit with this ID. You are on the right track with your use of this as a candle flame extinguisher. My resource for identifying antique lighting related pieces is the book, "Fire and Light in the Home - pre 1820" by John Caspall. In this book, Caspall identifies your device as a "douter," first known as "out-quenchers." He writes that they were first introduced in the late 17th century. The word, "douter" appears to be a corruption of the phrase "do outer." Simply put, they were used to extinguish candle flames. They are rare because they were not widely used as there were other much cheaper ways to extinguish a candle. The photograph from my collection is an unusually designed candle snuffer from the 17th century that is a combination snuffer and douter. Typically, a snuffer has a pointed wick probe, but some included the wick probe, a douter, and a rectangular snuffer box as seen in the photographs.

Bronwen, Pat P, Ownedbybear and 2 others like this.
  20. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have one that belonged to my husband's g-grandmother. It's been in this house since it was built in 1870, but I'm not sure how old it is. We do still use it.

Bronwen likes this.