I just came across a fake on sale for over €600..

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brian Warshaw, May 22, 2023.

1. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

When I was researching Royal Bonn, Germany, ceramics with a view to buying a particular article I came across this vase...

RB fake vase.jpg

The Backmark was...
    il_794xN.3722958513_g3ie.jpg

while the official backmark is this...
    RB Vase.jpg

According to: https://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/germany/northrhine/poppelsdorf-02/index.php

"The word 'Royal' and the year '1755' was added to the company mark in 1890 and used until the company was sold to Villeroy & Boch. These additions were used in commemoration of the fact that the Kurfürstliche Fayencerie zu Poppelsdorf (see above) had been founded that year. The claim from the Mehlem business on being a direct successor in the history of the Kurfürstliche Fayencerie zu Poppelsdorf led to many hot discussions through time, but Guilleaume insisted in using this claim for marketing purposes". [So the Company was trying a bit of fakery itself.]

HOW DID THEY MAKE THE SWITCH OF BACKMARKS and how long ago? And why did they change the date from 1755 to 1766; was this some legal trick?

I don't believe the seller was aware of the problem.

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

I wonder if both are authentic. When I read the 1766 mark I could read it as 1755 with some ink stamping artifacts that can occur.

3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Even if is genuine it seems a very high price. I couldn't sell it here in the US at 1/6 of what they are asking.

Figtree3 and Brian Warshaw like this.
  4. JB Miller

JB Miller Well-Known Member

It's just a sloppy mark. The shape number, 1460, impressed into the vase is correct.

5. Brian Warshaw

@Joe in PA
    It doesn't look as if it had been jiggled as it was being printed.
    @JB Miller
    If it is printed then they don't match up. If it is hand painted then it looks like it was done by an apprentice.
    But everything is possible.

double mark.jpg

@dgbjwc I don't think that it will sell at the asking price or even 1/6th of it in Europe either.

dgbjwc likes this.
  6. JB Miller

JB Miller Well-Known Member

royalbonn17551766.jpg

I took a look at the listing and nothing appears fake about it. Overpriced, maybe. The whole mark is just messy. You're using a pristine mark as the example. Take a look at the listings on ebay and you'll see almost every mark has some variation.

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Brian Warshaw

@JB Miller Agree with your Ebay comment; but the teeth on the lefthand side are so different spatially and geometrically different. However, I expect you are right. Thanks.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Looks genuine to me

Brian Warshaw and bluumz like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted