Featured I need help interpreting this painting, and the artist.

Discussion in 'Art' started by hamptonauction, Jun 6, 2021.

1. hamptonauction

hamptonauction Well-Known Member

I've had this watercolor? for several years and I've tried to decipher the meaning of the painting and the text on the bottom which I believe is German. I give up so I'm asking for help. Any help or opinions appreciated.

Image5.jpg Image6.jpg Image7.jpg Image8.jpg Image9.jpg Image10.jpg Image1.jpg Image2.jpg Image3.jpg Image4.jpg

2. David Broom

David Broom Active Member

This is by Horst Janssen and you could spend a lifetime trying to understand what he was getting at and still be none the wiser. Are you sure yours is a watercolour - I've seen this image as a lithographic print?

3. hamptonauction

Could be a lithograph, I'll take it out of the frame and check, thank you for the artist info, much appreciated.

pearlsnblume, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  4. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Just a translation of the text.
    Ach seufzt Joseph Peerlings - wenn doch jeder Knopf ein Janssen Selbstporträtwär! Es sind! Es sind! 17 Stück, für Euch (und geht in Euch) Joseph Peerlings ...

Oh sighs Joseph Peerlings - if only every button were a Janssen self-portrait! There are! There are! 17 pieces, for you (and goes inside you) Joseph Peerlings ...

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

6. hamptonauction

Thank you Anun and Moreotherstuff for the translation and website. I would never have figured that out.

7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

The chicken foot is a grabber! ;)
    It does appear to be a print..

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted