I Think It's Real! Wanted to show you the 27 x 40 GAYETY GIRLS OF 1930 movie(?) poster I found today

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jun 8, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

This 27.25" x 41.25 (the visible poster + the green & the white line before the thicker matting) poster titled GAYETY GIRLS OF 1930 I found at a local thrift store today - for $39!
    I think it's real- the size matches the ones I found online + in the bottom right corner it has PRINTED IN U.S.A. by DONALDSON LITHO CO. NEWPORT KY NO 5724

Googling it I found it described as a movie poster - but it has no studio credits, movie stars in it, etc..?
    Believe it or not that's my only question(!); I just wanted to show you guys this cool old poster - I hope you like it!

ART POSTER GAYETY GIRLS OF 1930  1AA.JPG ART POSTER GAYETY GIRLS OF 1930  1BBAA.JPG ART POSTER GAYETY GIRLS OF 1930  3AA.JPG ART POSTER GAYETY GIRLS OF 1930  2AA.JPG ART POSTER GAYETY GIRLS OF 1930  4AA.JPG ART POSTER GAYETY GIRLS OF 1930  4AAA.JPG

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Not a movie, but a stage show.

anundverkaufen, KSW and Bakersgma like this.
  3. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I should have known that!! My dad had theaters in the 60s, 70s & 80s - we had a vaudville. show at one (the Cameo on Miami Beach)- I even ran the spotlight on the weekends & school holidays for extra money
    Thanks! (I can't believe that never entered my mind - getting old is a drag!

Any Jewelry and moreotherstuff like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I can find other Gayety Girls of 1930 posters, but so far not one that looks like yours, so maybe a rarer one. Seems like the old ones were linen backed. Don't know if there's a way to check on that with the poster in a frame. [head scratch emoji]

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    Bronwen likes this.
  6. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A fax number dates the framing to 1980 to 2000. Ish.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Jeff Talbot

Jeff Talbot New Member

You need to pull it out the frame and check if it is linen backed and a lithograph. It's a good sign that it is 27 x 41 though.

Debora and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted