Featured I too have a necklace that I thought plastic

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wenna, Oct 25, 2019.

1. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

When I first saw this necklace I did think plastic. But I pick ed it up to look because I really liked the color combo. These are glass beads but does anyone have an idea from where and when made? Some seem to be wound glass and some molded. Older or newer? Anything special or just rough, badly made beads? 48 inches total length; strung on cord. The largest bead is 1/2" long. I finally decided the colors remind me of baby chicks and Easter eggs and that is why they are so appealing to me. Thanks for looking!
    20191025_115142_2.jpg 20191025_115218.jpg 20191025_115024.jpg 20191025_115058.jpg

kyratango, BMRT, pearlsnblume and 3 others like this.
  2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Adorable :)

Here are some versions from google called harlequin...

Screenshot_20191025-095221_1572022567753.jpg

kyratango, KSW, BMRT and 4 others like this.
  3. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

I was wondering if Czech (and still wonder) but they seem to be so crudely made. The colors go right along with the images you posted though...thanks!

kyratango, KSW, judy and 3 others like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think they are older. Possibly India in origin.
    They look like some I picked up long long ago in an antique shop and wore in the 1970s.

kyratango, KSW, judy and 4 others like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The harlequin thing refers to the fact that it's a mix of colours, rather than the origin or composition of the beads. Those look like some kind of poured glass. I'd think older.

KSW, judy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  6. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

It's the black accents that gave the comparison. Isn't that kind of a deco style?

They should be mine, whatever they are!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    kyratango, KSW, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Interesting. They do look like older glass in the close-up. I agree, colors and in that combination, not typically vintage U.S. or European. Maybe older from India as Cluttered suggested?

I like them, as well.

KSW, clutteredcloset49, judy and 2 others like this.
  8. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Update...while strolling/scrolling my way through a Bead Glossary today I came upon 'Prosser' beads. I then googled prosser beads since I wasn't familiar with them and the tiny little pic was not very good; I wanted to see what they looked like. Lo and behold I do believe that's what the smaller beads on this necklace are!

from the glossary:
    Prosser:refers to the cold cast method originally invented by the Prosser brothers of Bohemia in the 19th century for making buttons. The technique consists of molding a cold paste under great pressure and then firing it. The finished product looks like porcelain and is often referred to as such. By the 1860’s virtually all beads were produced using this machine method. All Prosser beads are opaque in color and have a thin seam.

These beads were introduced into the American west and were used for trading with the American Indians, who then incorporated the beads into their crafts. As trade beads, they are sometimes also known as Prosser trade beads. In African trade, they are known as "kankanmba" or "kancamba."

Apparently they are still being made today..."Initially produced in the Czech Republic, prossers are now made in Morocco using the old Czech equipment."

link to Bead Glossary
    http://www.earthmothercrafts.com/be...DoxEjdtBZ3sGEhwFqpUACGFGqBjoaO4fiZsXGQlnFwqSg

link to google search 'prosser beads'
    https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...hUKEwimj_acuJrnAhUoiOAKHXKGC7cQ4dUDCAY&uact=5

Learn something new everyday! Just wanted to share...

scoutshouse, KSW, Lucille.b and 3 others like this.
  9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Great discovery, Wenna. Thanks for sharing! :)

scoutshouse, KSW and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted