Featured ID Antique Limoges Haviland Teacup & Saucer Art Nouveau

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by VintageAlways, Oct 13, 2022.

1. VintageAlways

VintageAlways Active Member

I need help finding a name for this pattern of Antique Limoges Haviland Teacup & Saucer. It is a beautiful
    Art Nouveau design with Carnations. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I can't help with the pattern, but it's a cream soup cup and saucer....not for tea.:cat:

3. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Can be used for cream soup, of course, but it is actually for bouillon. Cream soups are a bit wider, a bit shorter.

In "the olden days," Limoges was a tad lax about naming all its patterns. ( :( I have a nameless pattern too.) You might try to find out under what title it was marketed by the store. That is, if the store is still extant.

4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

TY. I just learned that cream soups are a bit wider and shorter than those used for bouillon.:)

5. silverbell

Judy, LOL! Wish the listers on eBay would get it straight!

The spoons are also different. There's one for bouillon (4" or so), one for cream soups (4 1/2 to 5 1/4 ish), and then the big one (6"+) known as the gumbo spoon which pairs with the big flat soup bowl like a plate with raised sides. The first two each have two handles.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Lovely set!! But let me remind you that Limoges is a place not a company. Haviland & Co was the maker. ;)

7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I must search a two handled spoon........................:cat:

komokwa and bercrystal like this.
  8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

VintageAlways, komokwa and bercrystal like this.
  9. silverbell

LOL! That sentence belonged with my other post above that one! Sometimes my brain slips sidewise... :wacky:

komokwa, bercrystal and judy like this.
  10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

That brought a chuckle!!!!

komokwa and bercrystal like this.
  11. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Most Haviland patterns do not have formal pattern names. I'm a little confused by the decoration as it looks hand painted which would be unusual for Haviland of that period. Being close to Indianapolis I run across Charles Meyer pieces with some frequency and again they usually are transferred decorated.

I did do a quick search and to my surprise found that there is a webpage for Charles Meyer that was created by Haviland in 2019. It is in French and there is little information but there is a phone number with an Indianapolis prefix. Perhaps they could help you.

VintageAlways, judy, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  12. silverbell

Judy, re: that article has several glaring inaccuracies (aside from the misspellings). There are (basically) the three spoon sizes as I described, although in America, many people use the large spoon the English use as a dessert spoon, for soup in soup plates, or in the kind of bowl that doubles as a container for cereal.

The Victorians were notorious for having a separate implement for things which didn't really need them, but they were sized to fit, and oh, So Attractive.

By the way, Wikipedia has some interesting information about the decoration of china during specific times. :)

13. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I found your pattern in Haviland A Pattern Identification Guide by Bob Page, Dale Frederiksen & Dean Six. It is shown on page 199.

It is Schleiger 721-1 & is done on Star blank (Blank 5 w/ gold trim).

https://www.replacements.com/china-haviland-schleiger-721-1/c/219915

The flowers on yours look to be more pink than purple as is stated on the Replacements website. Since it was made for Chas. Mayer & Co. they may have asked for theirs to be done in pink instead of purple.

If yours is indeed pink rather than purple it would likely have a different Schleiger number possibly 721-2.

If you are going to sell it I would include all of the information on the bottom as there are folks who seek out their patterns using that information.

I think it is a beautiful pattern but then again I am an absolute sucker for Haviland china. :p:p:rolleyes: :happy::happy:

14. silverbell

Hear, Hear!!

judy and bercrystal like this.
  15. VintageAlways

VintageAlways Active Member

Amazing! I never thought I would find that info! Thank you so much!

16. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

You are very welcome & I am glad I could help!! :happy::happy:

17. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I have the complete set of books by Arlene Schleiger and she identifies this pattern as Schleiger 721 which is described as the pink version. Not to put too fine a point on it because collectors just buy what looks pretty. I used to collect this type of soup cup with lids. Added the lids so my collection would not get too large. Have since sold it all off.

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted