ID artist on watercolor

Discussion in 'Art' started by LouiseRWC, Dec 31, 2020.

1. LouiseRWC

LouiseRWC New Member

I need help IDing the artist. It's possible it is only family member/friend painter.
    Rumor is...the watercolor is a canal/small river way in Santa Clara County (this is San Jose and Santa Clara area in the state of California). It was floating around the neighbors house until she died, she gave it to my mother, and I received when my mother passed. Neighbor/mother would have both been around early 90's now.

L. Herriot

Thanks

Picture -only1.jpg Picture-signature1.jpg

lovewrens likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Louise, it looks like the work of a Sunday painter but I may be wrong. Hard to tell from photographs. I would suggest you open it up, if you haven't already done so. You may find additional information inside.

Debora

CheersDears likes this.
  3. LouiseRWC

LouiseRWC New Member

Yes, I have not opened it up. It's all taped.
    Thanks for the recommendation.

4. LouiseRWC

LouiseRWC New Member

I opened it up. No info. Only a $1.00 written on the board attached to the watercolor with someone's initials.
    Thanks again.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Could/would you post a photograph of what you found? The difficulty with work like this is... It's very hard to identify non-professional artists, especially when the location is unidentified. But certainly someone valued your piece as it was given house room over a long period of time. Might well have well have been a family piece. According to familysearch.org, there were lots of Heriot's in the San Jose area.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted