Featured ID brooch, roman gold, cufflink

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by YellowDestroyer, Jan 19, 2016.

1. YellowDestroyer

YellowDestroyer New Member

Good day, i need help to ident. These brooch, for me, it looks like XVII France - am i right? How much could it cost?
    IMG_4137.JPG
    IMG_4139.JPG
    IMG_4142.JPG

And rot these roman? jewerly.
    IMG_4218.JPG IMG_4219.JPG IMG_4220.JPG IMG_4221.JPG IMG_4222.JPG IMG_4223.JPG

And cufflink. \

2. YellowDestroyer

YellowDestroyer New Member

3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Absolutely lovely items you have been posting! My curiosity is getting the best of me. Excuse me for being nosy, but just have to ask. What is the history - provenance - of these jewels?

Rusian or any continental gold markings certainly isn't one of my few high points and there doesn't seem to be very much on the web about gold markings. There are several silver marks websites. It appears the same Russian city marks are used on their silver and gold as are similar other markings. Soooo will try to work through the 3th pic - the brooch marks. The stamp, punch, with "96." That is really 2 marks that are always stamped touching each other making it appear as 1 mark. That mark may be upside down. The mark with 95, is the gold purity/standard. That mark is usually on the left. If it is upside down then it would read 56. My problem is not knowing Russian gold standards. That other jark touching it is a city mark. As it is rubbed, I'm not sure what city, but if I had to guess, I'd say St. Petersburg. The shape of the punch looks like one of them used from 1860-1872 or 1873-1898.

St. Peterburg's bottom half of page,
    http://www.925-1000.com/Frussia_city_01.html

Other Russian city marks:
    http://www.925-1000.com/Frussia_city_02.html

Nowwwww, I certainly am not sure it is St. Petersburg city mark!!! Hopefully some one with better eyes can tell for sure what city. Am including an enlarged version of the mark. Those other jarks of an arrow an JJ, are the maker's marks. I haven't any info on a JJ gold maker's mark.

--- Susan

image.jpeg

5. Ladybranch

Just found that "56" is 14 kt gold.

Looking at the city marks again, that one could easily be the double headed eagles used by Minsk, Warsaw, etc...

--- Susan

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. Ladybranch

The 10th & 11th pics of the marks on the chain, 56 ЯЛ, is the assayer's mark for probably for the assayer Yakov Liapunov of St. Petersburg. 56 is 14kt gold. The A star N mark is probably the maker's or workman's mark.

"The chain is marked with 56 standard with ‘ ЯЛ ‘ for St Petersburg assay master Yakov Liapunov (1899-1903), and workmaster’s initials ....."

Read the last paragraph:
    http://romanovrussia.com/antique/victorian-jewellery-russian-jeweled-gold-locket/

--- Susan

image.jpeg

scoutshouse and afantiques like this.
  7. Ladybranch

Again going to ask, what is the history of these jewels? The history of them peaks my history genes. I'm a history buff. If you google the assayer Yakov Liapunov of St. Petersburg you will see links of several of the pieces he assayer selling for thousands.

--- Susan

scoutshouse likes this.
  8. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Again what look like hebrew letters and star of david on the cufflinks...
    Diamonds...rubies...gold....Sheesh....there's a lot of value here....likely even greater the more Lady digs thru history.

I wonder if these were smuggled out of Mother Russia......to keep them from falling into the wrong hands !! :wideyed::wideyed:

10. Ladybranch

Komo..., those letters with the 56 are of the Russian Cyriillic alphabet, ЯЛ. In the Russian cyrillic the letter Я is Ya, for the assayers name Yakov. The cyrillic letter Л is el, for the assayer's last name Liapunov. As to whether that is a Star of David, I doubt it because Imperial Russia did not tolerate Jewish anything. Fiddler on the Roof is a good example of the anti- Jewish pograms dictated by the Tzars.

I wonder about their history. As to whether smuggled out of Russia, I doubt it for believe they are ***still*** in Russia. I think the poster is in Russia for the 1st pics he posted were on a Russian website. I do wonder if they are his family heirlooms, is he a seller or dealer, is he connected to an auction house, etc... Seems if he is connected to an auction house, they would have in-house appraisers or run these pass qualifier appraisers rather than an online antique forum. If these are his family heirlooms, I'd love to know that family history!

--- Susan

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  11. komokwa

Yes with the 56 ....but the letters opposite with the star in the middle....??

The one to the right looks to me like a Chet......but I could be all Wet !!

[​IMG]

12. komokwa

13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I had no idea my son's name was the 8th letter of the Hebrew alphabet. I'll have to tell him. LOL

14. Ladybranch

Your right that could be the Hebrew cheft letter, but then the pics of that mark are poor, rubbed. It looks different in pic 10 and pic 11 or rather the 1st & 2nd pic in the 2nd posting.

It looks like the Cheft; like the Cyrillic Л for the letter/sound of L/el; like the Cyrillic н for the letter/sound of N; or the Cyrillic п for the letter/sound of P.

1st pic: This one could be the Cheft or the Cyrillic letters for п (letter/sound of P) or Л for the letter/sound of L/el

image.jpeg

2nd pic: This one could be the Cyrillic н for the letter/sound of N:

image.jpeg

--- Susan

15. komokwa

And it may be , you've got the more realistic version.
    Punches that small always messing up the soft gold on those even smaller rings..

Draft saved Draft deleted