ID Cast Iron Bistro Table... need help

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by 7539, Jul 6, 2018.

1. 7539

7539 Active Member

Here's a close up after I dusted it to make the letters pop more. And I did a pencil etching to see what it looked like.

2. 7539

7539 Active Member

Yes there are weld marks. Is that significant? 20180706_152444-2788x2091.jpg

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I think the one Debora found is spot on for the base style. Can’t judge the mark, but I think it’s clearly trying to represent LV. The smaller top is more in line with a bistro table top. Maybe some else has some thoughts, but I think this is the table it is trying to represent.

7539 likes this.
  4. 7539

7539 Active Member

Sure is hard to find examples.

5. i need help

7539 likes this.
  6. 7539

7539 Active Member

I can say, keeping all chances of a fake in mind, that I believe the table is pretty old. The assembly and casting isn't cheaply done. And the mark is not very "showy." If I were going to fake one, I would not put the mark out of view nearly at the top of the pedestal. Many of the Vuitton markings are at the base but a few are similar to mine.
    I'm not sure how to prove or disprove it. Is there an expert on Vuitton that l can find somewhere? Surely someone knows... thanks to all though so far

7. 7539

7539 Active Member

i need help likes this.
  8. i need help

I would keep checking here for other opinions, as this is a worldwide site and different time zones. Someone may be able to offer evidence pro or con. Or can recommend other references for you to check.

7539 likes this.
  9. 7539

7539 Active Member

Thanks for all the help. It's an interesting thing

i need help likes this.
  10. 7539

7539 Active Member

For what it's worth Stephen at Tetbury thinks its original Louis Vuitton. That's good news to me!

Figtree3, i need help and Fid like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It definitely says Paris, which is why I said it did in my first post.;)

7539 and i need help like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think I'd take the plant off it. Very nice find.

7539 and i need help like this.
  13. 7539

7539 Active Member

Here's where I am so far. Nowhere. I have found about four that have sold previously. One was similar to mine from an auction house in San Antonio. Everyone agrees the information is slim. Louis Vuitton history archive service has no records. Some of the auction houses have had a little backstory about LV creating some pieces for the Orient Express but I have no idea where they came up with the information. Any suggestions anyone?

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update. I also found sites mentioning Louis Vuitton furniture for the Orient Express.
    Does the Louis Vuitton history archive service have records of the furniture designs they made for the Orient Express? I can't imagine this particular table being on a train since there is no way to fix it to the floor, but you never know.

i need help likes this.
  15. i need help

Also, many times backstories are copied from one sellers ad to the next. If one person invented a story, it gets used again and again. Agree with AnyJewlery, they dont look designed to be secured.
    If I do find any places you can check, I will let you know or Maybe someone else here will know.

anundverkaufen and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. i need help

17. 7539

7539 Active Member

Looks like that's more art museum...but thanks. The guy at LV said they didn't have anything...I assume they would know, but don't know why they don't!

Any Jewelry, judy and i need help like this.
  18. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Interesting piece. As far as I can tell from google, Louis Vuitton never used that VL-Paris mark even back in the late 1800's, but instead the intersecting LV which is still used. The possibility of this being an urban myth bouncing around the internet echo chamber is therefore fairly likely.

Of course it is possible (though unlikely) that they may have used a different mark for furniture (if they ever made any) than they used for luggage and other luxury goods. If you want to research further maybe try to find some reliable source books on Louis Vuitton; there are a lot of books out there, start at your local library. Asking some of the auction sites that deal with LV trunks might also be worth a try.

On the other hand, there are clearly a number of people who believe the myth (if it is one) since the value of similar tables is high (though not sky-high like the trunks). So if your goal is to re-sell to make money, you don't need to prove or dis-prove the story; just take advantage of it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Fid, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. 7539

7539 Active Member

I agree, it's not going anywhere but the story intrigues me. I can't even figure out where the websites that list the orient express theory got their info. I was just updating everyone and hoping maybe someone in Europe might have answers. Louis Vuitton didn't say it wasn't theirs just that they didn't have any information. I have someone in Chicago doing some research as that is her line of work. If I learn more I'll post.

i need help likes this.
  20. i need help

Please update us again, as we all like to learn. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted