ID for WR + lattice mark double handle tankard

Discussion in 'Silver' started by KylieS, Jun 27, 2022.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Your piece looks to me to be electroplated, a process not introduced until about 1840. If it is electroplated, that and the WR really narrows down the time frame.

Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Believe it is extremely unlikely that a 'Victoria Regina' verification mark was ever expressed with a 'WR'.

As you've already found, it's likely this Creswick loving cup, also more likely Old Sheffield Plate rather than electroplate, was used as a pub mug, with the crowned 'WR' verification mark for 'William Rex' (King William IV), giving a fairly small dating window of 1830-37 (or just a little bit later). Though it could have been made before that stamp was placed, would guess it was likely from around the same time...

Weirdly still available to see, this 2015 eBay listing is for what is likely a similar piece, but the pics are long gone:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Antique-Old...-Tankard-Maker-Creswick-Georgian/351477687717

creswick-OSP-loving-cup-pub-mug-1.JPG

creswick-OSP-loving-cup-pub-mug-2.JPG

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    KylieS, Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. DragonflyWink

Meant to commend you on your soft heart, and thank you for taking such good care of mama and babies - and add that if you have time, so many of us do love seeing kitty-pics...

~Cheryl

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Thank you all for the concern for the kittens:). There are three, a black, a solid gray and a gray tabby (that seems like a long hair).

My daughter will take the mama kitty and I think a neighbor may take the black kitten. In the past I've been able to find home for stray litters so hope I can for these too.

I haven't planned to add any animals as I'm down to one old horse and one old cat that I want to see through the end. BUT the fuzzy tabby kitten is almost irresistible so we'll see:).

Hard to get good pics because they are always in motion.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've never been able to resist a fuzziness. Or a furriness. Glad to hear mama and babies are in a nice, safe place. BTW - I think you have a gray tabby. Just surrender already. Once a cat decides it's yours, there's no point.

say_it_slowly and bercrystal like this.
  7. DragonflyWink

Oh, they're wonderful - looks like you and mama are keeping them well-fed!

Just as an advocate for that tabby baby, when we brought a tiny, formerly feral furball to Mom's house years ago, she had only my old girl Autumn, a whack-job who hated other cats, and she seemed on her way out, eating little, sleeping deeply most of the time. After a couple of hisses and swats at the fearless Maynard, she found herself fascinated, let him sleep with her, and even played with him (though he still got the occasional smack) - she rallied and didn't pass until a couple of years later, we always thought it due to his presence, this baby might be good for your old kitty...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted