Featured I'D FORGOTTEN THIS WAS IN MY FEATHERWEIGHT SEWING CASE....

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Aquitaine, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

HEIGHT: 3-3/8", DIA: 1-1/2" for the REXALL SHAVING TIN, but it had a little DENTAL FLOSS tin inside also! There were 3 strings of the little beads in the bottom of the REXALL TIN and loose beads in the FLOSS TIN....NONE of the beads are magnetic! The one little tag on one of the strings of 'beads?' that reads '10' also says 'Providence'. Don't know if it means $10. or 10 cents! WHERE it came from, I don't know!! I'm more curious about what the 'beads?' are or are for...... The DENTAL FLOSS TIN is 1-1/8" DIA & 1-3/8" HEIGHT....The 3 sets of 'beads' on the strings were in the bottom of the REXALL TIN.....I'll have to be back in a while.....OK, am back.....forgot one more question.....any idea on the age of this.....stuff??

1PSX_20201104_153507.jpg

2PSX_20201104_153203.jpg

3PSX_20201104_153536.jpg

4PSX_20201104_153309.jpg
    5PSX_20201104_153605.jpg

6PSX_20201104_153632.jpg

7PSX_20201104_153725.jpg

8PSX_20201104_153806.jpg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  2. Aquitaine

WHOA, Worthpoint says the Dental Floss tin is 1890....Neat!!! It was sold... didn't get a price....they also had a sold Rexall's shaving tin....no price...as usual!!

pearlsnblume, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Aquitaine, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Aquitaine said "none of the beads are magnetic", so what could they be? I agree, they look like cut steel but they can't be :confused:

Lucille.b and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Maybe they are galena.

judy, Lucille.b and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Aquitaine, judy, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  7. Aquitaine

It was VERY hard to get any kind of IN-focus kind of image of the 'beads', but they look like mini Hex nuts....best way for me to describe them....will try for a better focused pic.....sorry for some of the color....it's night & using a light...but not flash....

PSX_20201105_225959.jpg

PSX_20201105_230042.jpg

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  8. Aquitaine

I'd never heard of 'galena', so looked it up.....as jewelry, but saw NOTHING this tiny!!! I'm befuddled..........they're all tiny sizes with holes, and somewhat irregular shapes, but sort of hex-like shapes, as I said above.....

judy likes this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Those beads are probably as old as the tins. If one of us can come up with the proper name I bet they're worth a good bit. Those tins probably are too.

pearlsnblume, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  10. DragonflyWink

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  11. Aquitaine

Wow!!!! Between 'WanderingBull' and 'Etsy'.....that's about what mine actually look to be!!!! Some sort of 'seed beads'!! Those three hanks of mine aren't all that large, and I can't judge the size of the ones on Etsy, .....and the loose ones in the dental tin only come maybe 1/3 to 1/2 way up.....but it's nice to know what they are......NOW.....WHAT to DO with them???!!!! Anybody want them??? (NOT the tins:happy:) THANK YOU @Marie Forjan, @Hollyblue, @DragonflyWink, @evelyb30, @Lucille.b, and if I missed anyone else, for the help!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  12. DragonflyWink

If you're talking about the size of the beads, in the order I posted the images, the first beads are tiny 16/0 (approx. 1.2 mm dia.), the second is 11/0 (approx. 1.8 mm dia.), the third 12/0 (approx. 1.7 mm dia.) - but should keep in mind that those old beads usually vary quite a bit in their size, probably even more so on the 'cut' beads, and bead sellers don't always get the 'aught' measurement right (even with a caliper, unless a good digital, those 10ths of millimeters can be difficult to determine)...

~Cheryl

13. Aquitaine

SO, @DragonflyWink, Cheryl, I stink at 'mm' and these are the 2 most UN-blurry images I could get with my camera and a ruler.....hoping you can clarify for me...........and THANK YOU SO MUCH for your time!!!! Am I right in thinking I'm seeing pretty random sizes in 1 & 2mm??

120201106_115505.jpg

220201106_114109.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  14. DragonflyWink

Should be measuring the diameter...

~Cheryl

Lucille.b and Aquitaine like this.
  15. evelyb30

Those would be sold as 2mm seed beads, best guess.

Better idea - get them into the hands of someone who'd use them instead of a reseller. There are people out there repairing old hand-beaded bags and 1920s flapper clothing who would go absolutely NUTS for them. I can see @kyratango hauling them off, giggling all the way, too.

Aquitaine likes this.
  16. Aquitaine

AHA!!! Live n' learn!!!! NOW I know!!

17. Aquitaine

AND @evelyb30, @kyratango or whoever, would be most welcome to them!!!! Otherwise, since I know of no-one who would want them, they might just find their way to the trash!!!! Seriously!!!!

18. DragonflyWink

Ummm, if you're just giving them away, I certainly wouldn't mind adding some to my stash...

~Cheryl

Aquitaine likes this.
  19. Aquitaine

Cheryl, AWESOME!! If Kyra also wants some, I'll divvy them up between you two!!! I don't think she's seen the tag yet.....

kyratango likes this.
  20. evelyb30

I have a bead stash that has already outgrown its available space. Otherwise...(LOL)

Aquitaine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted