ID help for large oriental rug

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by MTswirls, Jan 12, 2020.

1. MTswirls

MTswirls Well-Known Member

Hello everyone.

I have posted this rug before, but I didn't have good photos that showed enough detail so I'm trying again now that I have some close ups. I'm trying to decide if this rug has any value and if it is worth restoring. It is very dirty, so I don't know if it is worth the expense of having it professionally cleaned. It belonged to my mother who collected oriental rugs and had a few very expensive ones. Since I know nothing about rugs, I don't know if this particular rug actually has any value or if it is just a worn out, mass produced rug. I would really appreciate any info such as its possible age and origin. Could this rug be redeemed with a good cleaning, or is it too far gone with the condition it's in?

Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

duplicate thread.......:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:....... thread !!! :hilarious::hilarious:;)

MTswirls likes this.
  3. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

It is Aubusson is style...most likely a wool rug...fringe is either poly blend or silk...Rug is in bad shape. I don't know if you clean it whether is will help. White/ivory background is the worst for stains. Often you can get the stain somewhat out but it tends to yellow regardless.

4. MTswirls

Thanks. I'm going to do some research on cleaning. I would consider myself very lucky if I was able to lift all of the stains, but it could be worth a try.

5. necollectors

I noticed what maybe pet stains in multiple areas...that's a killer for a carpet like this. Honestly Aubussons like this tend to be a dime a dozen unless extremely well made and in great shape. I am sad to say I think yours misses those attributes.

6. MTswirls

After doing some more research it seems like cleaning it may be more trouble than it's worth. Well, at least I now know that I'm not letting go of a rare rug. I know very little about rugs, so I was unsure if it was potentially valuable. Anyways, thanks for the help!

7. necollectors

I am not an expert on rugs...I have a decent working knowledge, it is hard to see fibers with only a pic...so perhaps others might have a better opinion. Your best bet if unsure is to bring it to an antique shop or an appraiser to weigh the cost of cleaning (and whether it would work) vs. the worth of the item.

MTswirls and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I found oriental rug people to be generally generous with their information and assistance. I agree with @necollectors give it a try.

MTswirls likes this.
  9. MTswirls

Ok thanks! I'll look into this.

10. MTswirls

Will do, thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted