Featured ID help on wood and brass table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by MTswirls, Sep 8, 2019.

1. MTswirls

MTswirls Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm wondering if it's possible to identify what type of wood this table is made of from some photos? I'm curious to know what it might be. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
    IMG_8149.jpeg IMG_8148.jpeg IMG_8150.jpeg IMG_8145.jpeg IMG_8144.jpeg

2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Book match veneer of some sort. Don't know the species. Wait for the furniture folks to chime in.

3. MTswirls

Ok thanks!

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That's a very nice thing. West Indian flame mahogany I suspect.

5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Beautiful burl! I'd go for flame mahogany.

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Also think mahogany. Seems to be a quality piece.

MTswirls, Figtree3 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's lovely. If I saw it here, I'd think early 20th, or maybe late 19th. Post all that Victorian heaviness, as Edwardian stuff got lighter.

MTswirls and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

In the U.S. midwest I'd think 1920-50; the burl definitely takes it up a notch.

MTswirls and komokwa like this.
  9. MTswirls

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I'll have to sell it as I'm helping my dad empty his storage unit. I haven't been having much luck with sales on craigslist. It seems no one wants to buy the wood furniture I've posted even though I'm asking around $100 or less for most pieces. It's left me confused about what these pieces are really worth. Do you guys think that this would sell for $200? I'm just wondering if it's worth that considering it was very gently used and is in great condition. Any input is much appreciated.

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Really depends on where you are. In my semi-rural Midwest neck of the woods, $200.00 would be too high. You would be lucky to get $100.00 here. I imagine you could do better in a big city. Most places individuals sell such as CL and fb marketplace are, essentially, wholesale markets. People who peruse them are often dealers or people looking for bargain furnishings for their homes. You can get lucky and find someone willing to pay more but that is the exception to the rule.

There is no set value for used furniture. The value is really established once the buyer and seller agree on a price. As a dealer, I am betting that I can entice buyers to pay more than the average person might when buying from an individual. I pay good rent for space that provides 7 days a week access to my goods and work hard to create displays that put my merchandise in best light. People come here knowing that they are getting good clean used merchandise and will see a lot to chose from. You don't have that advantage so really can't expect to get retail prices.

Ghopper1924 and MTswirls like this.
  11. MTswirls

Thanks so much for all of the input. It really does seem like you have to sell things for a good bargain if you want them to move on Craigslist. I just needed some reassurance that I'm not letting it go for way too low. I live in a metropolitan area so I think I'll start it at $175 and go lower if no one's interested. Wish me luck!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted