Featured I'd like to learn more about this candy dish

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Atlantic Jim, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Atlantic Jim

Atlantic Jim Active Member

What do you think of this? It's available for about $10 at a nearby vintage shop.
    Would like to learn more about silver IMG_20190614_162746657-2137x1603.jpg IMG_20190614_162755353-2137x1603.jpg IMG_20190614_162804257-2137x1603.jpg IMG_20190614_162808525-2137x1603.jpg

judy, Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Japanese, silver plated and not terribly old. With the handle this form is usually called a basket.

3. Atlantic Jim

Where does Japan stand on quality or collectible silver playing?
    What are the countries to look for?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

"Playing"?

I'm not a seller and rarely add to my own collection these days, so I don't know much at all about what sells and for how much.

5. Atlantic Jim

Plating. - autocorrect error on the phone

6. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I doubt this particular piece is collectible and you probably would make little if any money trying to resell it. 10 bucks is probably about right for retail price on it. That being said - although I have no special knowledge of modern japanese made silver plated items - I doubt there are collectors of such. You can see sold prices of silver plated candy dish / baskets on ebay here:

https://ebay.to/2WMpNlu

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Are you where there are antique shops?
    Where they hold any antique shows?

Best way to learn is to frequent shops, look and handle items, ask questions.

Don't start spending a lot of money until you know what it is your are buying.
    For the most part you should stay away from silver plate made after the 1950s (exceptions apply).
    You need to familiarize yourself with makers and marks.
    Rainwater's Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufacturers is an excellent resource.

There is also this site
    https://www.925-1000.com/index.html

Jaena, UncleChuckTX, judy and 8 others like this.
  8. Atlantic Jim

Really appreciate the resources. I'll be studying

I am in Northeast USA. There seems to be no shortage of antique shops, vintage and thrift stores + 3 auction/ liquidation houses nearby. For years I was always intimidated by the retail antique shops but having just joined a co op I'm quickly learning the other members may know a few things but Gold slips by all the time

Draft saved Draft deleted