ID Stein w/lid, Majolica? What is going on in scene?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by tyeldom3, Jan 8, 2017.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Any ideas on age, and/or maker? Would this be considered Majolica?
    What is going on in the scenes?:confused: I have my thoughts, but want to know what others think.
    Thanks for your time.:)
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It looks like bawdy roistering to me, but my memories of bawdy roistering are almost as blurred as the images on the stein. :-(

For a stein it is small, I suspect something that size would be laughed out of Bavaria or sold to a tourist.

I have not been to the Oktoberfest for 50 years, but I suspect the litre stein i still the standard, I recall seeing uber-respectable German middle aged ladies quaffing litres of hellesbrau with the best of them.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I would investigate Wade porcelains as a possible maker.

lauragarnet and tyeldom3 like this.
  4. tyeldom3

Thanks so much Af, sorry for the blurriness, I tried again with pulling the camera farther back, it just seems the way the images on the stein are raised up causes the pictures to look blurry. These new ones are taken with a tripod, but still look a bit blurry.
    I mistakenly did not notice that there are some numbers/letters inside the lid. Looks a bit like RFIN NN17, and in using that as a search term, I found an old listing that no longer has images, but it claims to have the same letters in the lid. The seller claims it is made by Marzi & Remi.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mar...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

But I still don't see any marks by Marzi & Remi that look like this.
    Thanks again, :)
    4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 8.jpg

lauragarnet likes this.
  5. tyeldom3

Thanks cluttered, will do :)

lauragarnet likes this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

The lid probably says something ZINN which means pewter.

lauragarnet, tyeldom3 and komokwa like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Base and clay are wrong for Wade. The colour and glaze shout 1970s tourist ware.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe Rein...
    & yes, it looks like the men r having their way with the maidens in a beer filled festivity..

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Zinn is German for pewter. I concur that this is tourist ware; it would be easier to take home than a proper half liter stein.

10. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The marks on the lids only pertain to the lids, not the maker of the stein.

11. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

It doesn't look all that Bacchanalian to me. More like a slave market - captive women and children. :confused:

tyeldom3 likes this.
  12. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

That was my first thought too. It looks like the women's arms are being held behind their backs.

13. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Count me in on that kind of thought also - captive women, etc. Rather than a market of African slaves associated with USA, I'm getting an impression of native Caribbeans taken back to Spain by Columbus or other conquistadors and presented to King Ferdinand & Queen Isabella. The 4th pic seems to be a scene of a woman sitting on a throne with captives paraded by her. The 6th pic has a couple on the left sitting on thones with captives in front of them. These captives are bring held by men wearing headgear like conquistador's morion helmets.

--- Susan

14. tyeldom3

Thanks sooooo much SIS, Bear, Komokwa, Evelyb, Lauragarnet, Janetjohn, Bookahtoo and Susan! You are all so very helpful and I really appreciate it.
    Very interesting views on the scenes here! I find it quite strange.

lauragarnet likes this.
  15. lauragarnet

Why would a German tankard have a scene like that? Is this based on a frieze somewhere in Europe?
    Conquered enemies? The women are war booty?

tyeldom3 likes this.
  16. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

tyeldom3 and lauragarnet like this.
  17. Ladybranch

At this point it is doubtful the scene will ever be IDed. I even thought of the "Rape of the Sabine Women" was a posibility, but didn't seem that confusing or erotic enough as some steins have portrayed it. As someone has said with "zinn" on the pewter at least the pewter mount was made in Germany or Austria. The ball thumbpiece/thumblift is in the German style. I like Laura's idea of a possible European frieze somewhere.

At times like this I miss Pat who had a great pewter website with lots of info on styles, maker's, marks, etc.. of pewter tankards. After he died we could still get into his site until about a year or so ago. Now we can't. I saved his website until about 4 months ago. At that time our desktop kept locking up whenever Windows tried to updated. We finally had to reinstalled Windows. I thought I had saved all the data on it, but I missed saving Pat's website. :(

--- Susan

18. lauragarnet

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  19. Ladybranch

Laura, you nailed it! Great finding.

--- Susan

20. tyeldom3

Let me first apologize for taking sooooooo long to reply to this! I've had soooo much going on here lately.
    Thank you all so much for the help and wonderful thoughts SIS, Susan, Bookahtoo, Janetjohn, Evelyb, Komokwa, Bear, Cluttered, Af, and Lauragarnet, that is a great ID, and I truly appreciate it!!
    You all are the best.:kiss:

Draft saved Draft deleted