Featured ID The Medium

Discussion in 'Art' started by JewelryPicker, Feb 11, 2023.

1. JewelryPicker

JewelryPicker Well-Known Member

Black and white portrait adhered to old cardboard. Portrait size is 5.5x8”

Subject: C5DD0E88-AC37-4F22-BB24-AE460097EC9B.jpeg 97EB24C7-A3DE-48F6-9DA6-A9A54CACD369.jpeg DE2794D9-2A39-47FB-8026-01EF1CA0CB83.jpeg 1347BF69-7C5D-4C0E-BC07-46937B29B049.jpeg 5B1EFB42-895D-4728-98AD-93EC0775FFB2.jpeg 747159EE-B583-4F0E-836E-1F257455D504.jpeg E375C4D8-E5EB-4F5A-88BF-0FFD8125D2A3.jpeg Mother of Ephraim Washington Bouve, accomplished engraver/lithographer whose works reside in The Smithsonian and cover art in The Library Of Congress

Hand written details on the back and later typed, infilling some details, indicate that this was:
    “Copied from oil painting owned by Aunt Fannie Bouve Moses. This went to her daughter Lillia B. Moses. This picture was given to Ephraim Washington Bouve on Dec 25, 1895 (This black and white - not the oil)”

A notable family from Boston

I have exhausted most of the research on the subject’s famous son. I just can figure out the medium of this portrait. If I gently rub a finger over the dark black, I do get transfer to my finger, but this is definitely not charcoal. I’m leaning towards a mix of water color (background and lace ruffle) and ink (dark details). Definitely not a modern print

any ideas?

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It kind of looks to me like it could be done on a rice paper maybe.....?guessing here!

Bronwen likes this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

You would expect it to be a lithograph, given the provenance, but doesn't appear to be.

I'm interested to see how she placed a flower stickpin as decoration but, I suspect, also to keep upper layers of ruff down.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It looks to me more like watercolor than ink, but I don't know the pigments.

Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think it's a mix of watercolor and ink too.

Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I am wondering if it is not painted with India Ink. I paint with water colors and getting that black of a black would be hard. If it is watercolor it was done on dry paper. I like the effect of such a stark contrast. The lace is wonderful . I bet those eyes follow one around the room! I think it is just water color paper rice paper I believe has lines in it. Never used it so not sure and It is not Mulberry. I think linen Watercolor.

7. JewelryPicker

Not sure if this helps or not, but this photo was taken through a digital microscope with LED light. Unfortunately the LED causes a good bit of reflection. Shows an area of curls in her hair on her right side 5870249A-3015-46B5-925D-8C6B3FF2BDB3.jpeg

8. JewelryPicker

Interesting genealogical tidbits:

The subject is Lydia Cushing (Tracy) Bouve, mother of Ephraim Washington Bouve

-Wife of Ephraim Osborn Bouve, son of Jonathan Bouve, a Soldier of the Revolution

-She was the daughter of Lydia Tracy (Cushing) who was the daughter of Col David Cushing, 7th Regiment Massachusetts Militia, Revolutionary War

The Cushing surname had been associated with wealth and prominence in Massachusetts since the 1600’s

So the engraver/lithographer Ephraim W. Bouve had a paternal grandfather and maternal great grandfather who fought and won America’s Independence

9. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Hm looks like ink and ink wash to me. India ink used heavy can rub off like described and definitely creates that dark pigment.

Draft saved Draft deleted