Identification for a different sort of drawer pull attachment

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Iowa Jayhawk, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

I picked up an "old" desk at a local estate sale Saturday. It has many coats of paint on it, but I think that the base wood is cherry, and looks like the drawers are poplar or some wood like that. There are no screws used, and it looks like the only nails are a late additon to sturdy the drawers. The pulls are hand forged I believe, and attatch via two prongs that go through a small hole and then are bent. I have never seen that method, and wonder if anyone else has. I would think this might help date it. Pictures aren't very good, and I can certainly try to get better ones if that will help. IMG_4690.JPG IMG_4700.JPG IMG_4695.JPG IMG_4696.JPG

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I think that the hardware attachment is Asian - ie. Chinese or Japanese. To my eye, the entire piece looks to have an Asian influence ( the wide overhang on the top, etc.)

Let's see what others say (to correct me!!!!).

kyratango, Figtree3 and James Conrad like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree, typically Asian. China, India , and a few other countries. Sometimes even found on North African and Mexican furniture. Picture is dark so hard to see details. From what I can see, China is likely.

kyratango, Figtree3 and James Conrad like this.
  4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Just wondering... Is there a word here?
    img0 (54).jpg

James Conrad likes this.
  5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Lightened it up a bit to show detail, even though I know the overall image is not properly exposed:

AsianTable.jpg

6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yes, it's called "iron wire", you see it on 17th-early 18th century american furniture although i don't think your table is anywhere near that old.
    As others have said, likely imported, weird seeing hand forged iron on a piece of "modern" furniture though.

7. Iowa Jayhawk

Iron wire is a good descriptor. I notice I have the drawers in the wrong sides. The hardwared defintely looks hand-forged to me. I hesitate to remove any of them as I don't know how well the wire can be rebent. I don't think it is particularly "modern", but I guess modern is a relative term.

James Conrad likes this.
  8. James Conrad

If it was American/ English iron wire, it's not a problem to rebend but i don't think it's american so i dunno.
    Yes, modern meaning not 17h -18th century

9. Iowa Jayhawk

Well, I only paid $25 for it...This was a very strange estate...Lots of oriental looking furniture, and very high end Baker furniture as well. I'm guessing it may be 19th century somewhere.

James Conrad likes this.
  10. Iowa Jayhawk

Here is the mechanism that "locks" the drawers. IMG_4693.JPG

kyratango and James Conrad like this.
  11. Iowa Jayhawk

The "writing in question is just bubbles in the finish. Here are some better pics of the drawers, with signs of rodent damage. IMG_4702.JPG IMG_4704.JPG

kyratango, SBSVC and James Conrad like this.
  12. James Conrad

You often see this type of drawer pull in period american william & mary furniture (1680-1730) with "teardrop" pulls that are attached to the drawer with iron wire. You can still buy this pull with iron wire used to restore old furniture, just like back in the day.

A9-brass-tear-drop.png

Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  13. James Conrad

I see 20th century nails attaching the drawer side looks like which make the pulls very odd indeed!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd have figured this for a newer piece of export furniture made to look like the older ones, but not made to fool anybody.

Christmasjoy and James Conrad like this.
  15. James Conrad

I'd guess Ruth is probably correct.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. Iowa Jayhawk

Looks to me like those nails are there to reinforce the drawers. It all has me totally baffled, which may be the idea. :banghead: IMG_4697.JPG

James Conrad and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted