Identification help- Mexico Silver necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by mreinstein, Nov 8, 2019.

1. mreinstein

mreinstein New Member

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a database for Mexican silversmiths. I'm trying to find out a little more information on this Onyx Sun necklace I recently purchased. I think the stamp is either TC-264 or TC-764. Thanks so much!

Attached Files:

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, mreinstein. It is a lovely necklace, but unfortunately the mark is too recent for most databases.
    It is a post-1979 mark of a maker in Taxco whose last name starts with C, that is all I can say. The number indicates which mr or mrs C it is. As you can tell from the number, there are a lot of C's.;)

reader, mreinstein, Xristina and 3 others like this.
  3. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

Hi...TC plus the number it looks like 264 is the place where is was made in Mexico and the # is a registration # that the artist is registered under. The T stands for Taxco that's where it was made and the C is the first letter of the artist last name. 264 is the # he /she is registered under. If you can find the Taxco registration you will find out their last name. 1980 they started with the registration numbers so the piece is 1980+

clutteredcloset49 and mreinstein like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Uhmm, didn't I just say that?:confused:

5. mreinstein

mreinstein New Member

Thanks Any Jewelry! I was hoping someone might know if there was a registry or database somewhere with who the actual "C264" was. Too much too hope for I guess lol.

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Yes you did, but not as succinctly as necollector;):):):)

Some of us need it spelled out:cat::cat::cat:

7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

8. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

To Any Jewelry Sorry...I am new to the board and hadn't checked who had answered the question before I did. My apologies.

9. Any Jewelry

:D
    That is correct. The codes are for tax purposes, not to keep a register of silver manufacturers for collectors.
    Since there are countless silver manufacturers in Taxco alone, it is impossible for collector's sites to keep up with who goes with what number. Besides, collectors are picky and only the well-known makers are in researcher's lists.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  10. Any Jewelry

That is quite all right, @necollectors , I like your enthusiasm.:)

11. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Don't worry about it.
    I can't tell you how many times I have said something only to have someone else come in and say the same thing. They get credit as if I was never there.

Your reply was well written. Two answers saying basically the same thing - makes a better case.

kyratango, reader and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted