Identification help please with porcelain lidded pot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dmstbr, Feb 18, 2020.

1. dmstbr

dmstbr New Member

I would really appreciate any leads you could give me in identifying this antique porcelain lidded pot with handle. It appears that at some point, there was gold embellishment on some of the flowers but most of that seems to have worn off now. The only mark on the bottom is the number 2552. I was sure that I had seen this pattern before but can not seem to find anything about it online. It measures about 11 cm in height to the top of the pot. Handle and lid are brass. I suspect that it is either Dutch or German. Also, any idea what it would have been used for?
    Thanks very much for your ideas.

Attached Files:

2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

I would guess a biscuit barrel or tobacco jar.

aaroncab, blooey and Bakersgma like this.
  3. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Usually when I see this color palette with the peonies and the gold numbers on the bottom I think of Japan......

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Nah, even though imari palette, English, biscuit barrel some Staffordshire potter or other early 20thc

judy, Bakersgma and aaroncab like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6. dmstbr

dmstbr New Member

I think you are right - a tobacco jar makes sense to me.

judy likes this.
  7. dmstbr

dmstbr New Member

Thanks for your input. Given our family history, it is entirely possible that it could be from Japan.

judy likes this.
  8. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

To me it looks like a biscuit barrel from one of the staffordshire potteries. All the silver plating is worn off with polishing over the years. It is biscuit barrel size? Not one of the better examples of the time.

judy likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Biscuit barrel, absolutely typical of them. Tobacco jars had that odd screw in lid fitting to keep them airtight. I agree on originally silver plate, Staffordshire, some time between 1880s and 1920s and yes, Imari palette. Google on Imari palette biscuit barrel and you'll see lots of them.

2522 may be the piece workers mark.

kentworld likes this.
  10. dmstbr

dmstbr New Member

It certainly makes sense that you would want a tobacco jar to be airtight. This is a picture of the back of the lid. Is this the type of screw that you are talking about in the lid fitting of a tobacco pot?

Attached Files:

11. dmstbr

dmstbr New Member

The pot is only 11cm tall - perhaps for very small biscuits, or one large one!

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted