Identification Help, Please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ChanceStan, Jun 18, 2021.

1. ChanceStan

ChanceStan New Member

20210618_124421.jpg 20210618_124411.jpg 20210618_124439.jpg 20210618_124449.jpg 20210618_124459.jpg 20210618_124602.jpg 20210618_124649.jpg Greetings All,

I am requesting some assistance in identifying the origins of this vase, its maker, and associated timeframe of production. The vase measures approx. 9" in height and has a 5" diameter at its widest point. The main issue is I cannot discern any maker's mark or identifying features anywhere. It is definitely hand-painted and the vase has "texture" due to hundreds of raised" beads that surround the portrait on the front or resemble plant stems/flower buds on its entire surface. I have not attempted to clean it because I know there are specific things to avoid depending on the type of glassware.
    The only thing I know about the vase is that it was owned by an elderly couple who lived in Florida. I'm unsure of when or how it came into their possession. My father would perform some routine handyman type work for the couple since they were unable to do it themselves. Everytime he visited, he would remark on the vase and state how beautiful he thought it was. He really adored it. He worked for the couple for years, and one day the woman took the vase down from her "pride of place" and gave it to my father in appreciation for all the work he had done for them. My father passed away 42 years ago and I've had it ever since. As to age, I'd only be speculating but maybe early Twentieth Century?
    Any ideas on where to even begin? My thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    DizzyDaff and judy like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I think this is probably Japanese circa 1905-20

3. ChanceStan

ChanceStan New Member

Hi Ce BCA, thanks for the reply. I think that makes sense. The woman in the picture has a slight Asian look to her. Plus, the plants look like bamboo.

judy likes this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Well, I would guess early 20th century Nippon.

5. ChanceStan

ChanceStan New Member

And I meant early Twentieth Century, not Nineteeth. I've since edited my original post.

judy and janetpjohn like this.
  6. ChanceStan

ChanceStan New Member

Is it common for these types of vases to lack identifying marks?

judy likes this.
  7. ChanceStan

ChanceStan New Member

UPDATE: I just found this vase online and it is almost identical in style and dimensions. The description states: "20th Century Nippon Hand-painted Flowers Vase". nippon-hand-painted-flowers-vase-with-two-gilded-handles-9322.jpeg

judy likes this.
  8. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Yes, very common, they also often have marks which are not referenced. Some of this can be due to loss of records due to the war, also that they were export ware and not of interest in the home market, and that marks could be for agents/importers rather than the factory.

Such things are often collectively called Nippon ware (as some were marked Nippon). Very similar to items produced by Morimura and Noritake.

9. ChanceStan

ChanceStan New Member

Thanks, Ce BCA and janetpjohn. I've learned something new today. I'd call that a "win"! Guess I can take the rest of the day off. Lol.

DizzyDaff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted