Featured Identification Help

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Shwikman, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

It’s a rack for something I recon. There’s a copper box lining the bottom part which is pretty tarnished. As you can see it’s designed to hang on a wall and not designed to hold anything too heavy, overall it’s about 20” tall.

Thank You!
    E9A6293A-76DE-4460-8D56-180CDC7BF32A.jpeg A1DF62BB-8DF1-42CB-8860-A081BDE522A2.jpeg 37F2025A-57F2-423D-967A-CE1D57766F4F.jpeg A2BDBCBB-1539-4862-95B4-D779915F9029.jpeg

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

As wiscbirddog has said, it's a display rack for spoons.

My great aunt had one similar in the 1960's, and she had a fake philodendron "growing" in the little trough at the bottom.

Figtree3, judy, Ghopper1924 and 6 others like this.
  4. Shwikman

Thank You Folks!
    So would this be for “special” spoon like souvenir spoons/ornate spoons then?

5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I imagine that once upon a long, long time ago, people kept their spoons on a rack, perhaps to keep them all together.

In more modern times, yes, a rack like this would have been made for someone's more "special" spoons: souvenir spoons & the like.

judy, Ghopper1924, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  6. Shwikman

Got it! Thank You!

judy, Ghopper1924, ulilwitch and 2 others like this.
  7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Note: I found mention of (albeit no substantial info about) the Nelson Furniture Co. in some 1950's journals on Google Books.

For example:
    from the Police and Peace Officers' Journal of the State of California (Volume Jan./Feb. 1956-Oct./Nov. 1957) online (page 25 of 95)

NELSON FURNITURE CO.
    We Specialize in FINE MAPLE AND CHERRY FURNITURE
    Phone CYpress 5 4400
    1050-1054 PARK AVENUE
    SAN JOSE. CALIFORNIA

http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-e...-state-of-california-volume-janfeb--fna.shtml

8. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

hmmmm. at 20" tall it seems a little big for a spoon rack to me. BWDIK?

judy, Ghopper1924, Fid and 1 other person like this.
  9. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

I thought at first it was a pipe rack but spoon rack makes sense.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  10. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Bdigger, the 20" is pretty average for this type of rack, actually.

Figure the decorative top is ~5"-6", the bottom trough ~2"-3", and that leaves ~11"-13" for the spoons, divided into two rows. If the spoons are 5"-6" teaspoons, they'd work fine.

11. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah is, early american spoon racks/cupboards are HIGHLY collectible with better examples going for thousands.

Shwikman, judy and Darkwing Manor like this.
  12. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Those early spoon holders are fantastic ..although we know those would not have been for "souvenir" spoons. Early silver collecting wasn't based on purchasing "sets" but acquiring one or more pieces at a time, and considered fairly high status items, being fashioned by hand by metal smiths. The specific souvenir form was brought to the US in the late 1880s, after industrial advancements made silver machinable, thus more affordable, and copying European forms. The Daniel Lowe Silver Company in Salem, Mass had one of the first and maybe most famous, the Salem Witch spoon. They fetch high prices on eBay! I recently have been liquidating a friends' family souvenir silver flatware, and studying the level of craftsmanship and attention to detail on some pieces is staggering! Salem witch spoons.jpg

13. James Conrad

Yeah, they can be, no doubt & hideously expensive as well. I once watched a lady dealer friend of mine who collected spoons pay over 10k for this mid 18th century american spoon cabinet. I looked at her like HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND?!!!
    She explained that spoon collectors can be VERY serious about racks/cabs to display their spoons, some of which are ancient spoons and, it was a very GOOD BUY! I guess, she sold it later for more than she paid so.......WDIK

mid 18th century Queen Anne Spoon cab with Tombstone doors

spoon cupboard.jpg

14. Shwikman

Jeez! I was thinking like $20 for my humble example, I had no idea how out of hand old/nice versions of these can get.

James Conrad likes this.
  15. James Conrad

Ditto! I had no clue about the value of these utilitarian furniture forms. Take the humble bucket bench for example, pottery people will pay big bucks for fine early examples to display their pots, who knew?

16. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, more "modern" spoon rack like the one you've shown don't command very much money at all.

Here's one on eBay, listed for $16.99 + S&H
    img0 (296).jpg
    VINTAGE WOODEN SPOON DISPLAY RACK - DARK WOOD STARBURST AT TOP - 12 SPOONS
    from seller: oscarscloset2016

Shwikman, James Conrad and komokwa like this.
  17. Shwikman

Agreed.
    I wasn’t off by too far.....I do have a dozen or so mediocre souvenir spoons I could bundle...I suppose that might help me or hurt me.

18. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Sadly, I don't think it would help at all. Anyone looking for a spoon rack is probably looking because she/he already has spoons to put in it.

Also, those who collect souvenir spoons generally do so by location or subject or maker or style; it's rarely random. Someone else's "collection" isn't going to match their own preferences.

Finally, if the spoons you have aren't sterling silver, there won't be much, if any, demand for them, anyway.

(-- and if they ARE sterling, you'd be losing out by bundling them with the holder!)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Shwikman and James Conrad like this.
  19. Shwikman

That’s good to know!!
    Thank You!

SBSVC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted