Featured Identify beautiful sugar bowl

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Kathleen Hooley, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Hi Friends, I recently acquired this piece at an estate sale. I am trying to identify the age and style. I know a bit about silver but I'm not an expert. I have spent a good deal of time researching this piece. The background follows. I believe this to be a sugar bowl or possibly a waste bowl. It has three pieces: cover, bowl and matching tray. It is not marked other than a rudimentary makers mark of DDV. I have researched this mark and have not been able to identify it. I believe that it does not have a sterling or silver plate stamp because it was made prior to the late 19th century when stamps were required by the US. Also, the workmanship is incredible and nothing like I have ever seen. I place it early to mid 1800 sug1.JPG sig7.JPG sug2.JPG sug3.JPG sug4.JPG sug5.JPG sug1.JPG sig7.JPG sug2.JPG sug3.JPG sug4.JPG sug5.JPG but as I've said, I'm no expert.

I've tested the metal content, multiple times using both silver solution and 14k gold solution. I also filed at an inconspicuous spot to make sure that if it was plate, I tested through it. The majority of testing showed that the piece was at least sterling silver. It also looks like silver and has a different color tarnish. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

janettekay, Any Jewelry, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. I should also add that I sold this on Ebay as sterling silver but the customer sent it back stating that it was heavy silver plate although he did not test it.

judy and kyratango like this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

It looks like a koro (incense burner) and cover with underplate, Japanese or Chinese. I'm leaning more toward it being Chinese. It is very beautiful and I believe the person that returned it was foolish!

It is exactly the type of thing I covet! :wideyed:

4. Tell me more!!! I thought the design was a bit unusual and was having a difficult time with identification and dating. Any Thoughts on time period? Did they usually work in sterling silver?

KikoBlueEyes, judy and kyratango like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, Kathleen. It could be Chinese Export Silver, and as you thought probably a sugar bowl, if the size is right.
    If it is solid silver CES, the fineness could be anything between .850 and .999.

Another option could be Thai, but I am leaning towards Chinese Export.
    Probably a bit later.
    @Asian Fever , do you think this is Chinese Export Silver, and do you recognize the mark?:)

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  6. The only marks were DDV on both the bottom of the bowl and plate. Of course that makes me suspicious about Chinese.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  7. Also I forgot to post the size. It is 6" in diameter and 5 " tall

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

It does? There are quite a few Chinese Export Silver makers who signed with Latin initials.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Is it possible these marks are not "D's" but D shaped impressions containing another image? A better photograph may help!

clutteredcloset49 and Bakersgma like this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

They look that way to me as well, blooey.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  11. I'm taking more pics..Should have them out later today

12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

13. I've taken closeups of the marks on the bowl and plate sugg5.JPG

14. Any Jewelry

The last one, is that a mark? It looks like a rivet of sorts, like something is attached on the other side.:confused:

15. I examined in under 3x loupe. Very clear that it is DDV although the mark is different as it is in a triangle

16. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Where on this piece did you do a silver test? The liquid used for testing silver leaves a damaged spot.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Agree, and so does filing.:facepalm:

18. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Scraping the piece on a touchstone eliminates that problem!

19. Any Jewelry

Exactly. That is what the dear Lord gave us touchstones for.:pompous:

20. I did try several times with a touchstone but was having a difficult time getting readings, possibly need a different stone. But you are right, it did leave marks on the bottom and I could just kick myself. I know better but was just impatient. It won't happen again.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted