Identify Cabinet and Possible Worth

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Tincanalley, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Tincanalley

Tincanalley New Member

We've had this cabinet sitting around for years and always wondered where was built, what it was made of and possible value.

The entire cabinet seems to be made from hardwood, but I couldn't say what type. It is very heavy (over 100 lbs). It is certainly handmade and uses nails for all but the hinges, which are old slotted wood screws. The doors are quite thick and have metal pulls on each. One door has a "U" shaped end and the other door fits into it when you close them. There is a wood latch top and bottom of the left door to keep them closed. The doors have metal banding on them, but they are covered over and I am not sure if that is by design or someone refinished it as one point.

Inside is a single shelf, roughly in the middle and has an internal depth of 12". Overall cabinet dimensions are: H 43" W 40" and D 15".

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Front.jpg Door Left.jpg Door Right.jpg Door interlock.jpg Door Latch.jpg Metal Pull.jpg

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

It screams colonial baroque, but I think it could as well be Asian. Or Central America. Crude is easier to, uh, emulate, so it could 100 yo colonial revival. Puzzling.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Roaring20s is on the right path. Spanish Colonial style in its rather...yes....crude execution, with a feeling of Victorian Renaissance Revival around the edges. Could be 1880s or any time for many decades thereafter.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted