Featured Identifying Blue & White Chinoiserie Tureens

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Soupster, Apr 3, 2024.

1. Soupster

Soupster Member

Hello Antiquers,

I recently acquired these blue and white pearlware tureens but have been unable to find another example of the model. Has anyone seen them before / have an idea of the maker and perhaps value? Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Size please.:)
    They look like butter dishes to me, shaped after wooden tubs.

John Brassey and Soupster like this.
  3. Soupster

Soupster Member

Thank you, they're approximately 9 cm high with base diameter of 9.75 cm, whilst max diameter is 15 cm. The holes on the lid are intriguing, do butter dishes ever come with that?

johnnycb09 likes this.
  4. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

AJ suggestion makes sense. The browning on the lower half of the one could be from the butter seeping into glaze crazing.

johnnycb09 and Soupster like this.
  5. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

size would help. I am assuming 4" based on tile in background.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I didn't realize they went all the way through.:oops:

johnnycb09 likes this.
  7. Soupster

Soupster Member

That's no problem, I should have uploaded a photo showing it - there are 5 on each lid. Plus the one on each animal head, which leads me to think they were perhaps once strung and may have been hung?

8. Soupster

Soupster Member

They certainly do appear to be butter dishes / tubs from the examples I've now been able to find.. although none I've seen have the holes on the lid. There's examples with similar lug handles, albeit with no animal. I'm assuming these are early 19th century, circa 1820s? but still no idea who produced and how rare they may actually be

Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They may be earlier, as in late eighteenth. A Staffordshire maker.

10. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Looks like pearlware. The pattern looks a bit post 1820 to me

11. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Those perforated lids are a conundrum... usually that means it's for steam to escape while/after cooking, or a way for air to enter and create a dryer atmosphere within to prevent mold on a moist item. (Of course there's also potpourri uses but I don't think that's the case here.)
    The old covered butter bowls often had a perforated insert for the butter to sit on but I, too, have not seen one with a perforated lid.
    I wonder if they each once had curved basket handles?

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted