Featured Identifying Bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by MML, Aug 17, 2018.

1. MML

MML Well-Known Member

Hello, looking for a bit of help with the maker and name of this bowl and about when it was made. Thank you!

2007-01-04 06.38.59.jpg 2007-01-04 06.37.15.jpg

It is 9" in diameter.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  2. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

From Heacock/Elmore "Opalescent Glass A-Z":

Jefferson Glass Co. - Pattern #260 aka "Jefferson Wheel" aka "Wheel and Gate" - years of production 1905-08

The book says "no known repros" as of date of publishing in 2000. Also, there is a certain name for that crimped half-circle edge treatment, but I can't find it and can't think of the name at the moment.

pearlsnblume, judy, MML and 8 others like this.
  3. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

The edge is crimped with a tool hand operated like pliers. Sometimes you will see crempt for that pie crust appearance.

pearlsnblume, judy, MML and 2 others like this.
  4. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, Jefferson had a patent on that crimp, don't know a name for it, though.

pearlsnblume, judy, MML and 1 other person like this.
  5. MML

MML Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the help! Don't think I would ever have found this info on my own.

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Thank you both for the clarifications. I knew that edge was particular to Jefferson, but I didn't realize it was patented. Perhaps I'm mis-remembering that there was a name or collector term for that specific edge (e.g.: similar to 3-in-1, Piecrust, etc.). My brain could be making that part up.

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Wonderful photos! They will make people WANT that bowl!

MML and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted