Identity of Brass Statues

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Edward Harvey, Mar 3, 2024.

1. Edward Harvey

Edward Harvey New Member

My wife and I recently purchased on impulse a pair of brass statues at an antique shop. I was confident I would be able to ascertain information regarding the pieces by sifting through Google images. After scrolling through thousands of images, however, I have had to admit defeat and am seeking recourse through the forum. I'm not sure whether this is helpful or not, but the pieces resemble some French bronze and brass statuettes I discovered on the net. Thanks in advance of any help in identifying these pieces.

BTW...I suspect the first piece is supposed to be holding a slender staff in her right hand as there is a tiny hole in the base of the statue that would secure such an item.

IMG_1002.jpg IMG_1003.jpg IMG_1002.jpg IMG_1003.jpg IMG_1002.jpg IMG_1003.jpg IMG_1002.jpg IMG_1003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2024
    Any Jewelry, lovewrens and wlwhittier like this.
  2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Welcome Ed-Can you tell us the dimensions of the pieces,supply pics of the base & reverse,& photograph any marks at all that may be related to artist/manufacture ?
    @Bronwen may be able to tell you the identity of the two ladies.

wlwhittier likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

wlwhittier likes this.
  4. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Whew you make it sound like you're taking us to court for harming you! :playful: You have to be around longer for that to happen... :p

Agreed more photos would be best. The underside of their bases, the backs, any marks (sometimes they are found on the base)... Close-ups of their faces and what they're holding help with identifying the figures, and sometimes the maker if they have a particular look.

These type were really popular for a long time (as you found). They usually came in pairs to order with your mantel clock. They're really lovely objects, even if you don't discover the exact maker.

5. Edward Harvey

Edward Harvey New Member

IMG_1008.jpg IMG_1007.jpg IMG_1006.jpg IMG_1005.jpg IMG_1004.jpg

I appreciate all the interest shown in the statues!

Each statue is approximately 11.5 inches in height. Unfortunately they bear no marks to indicate the maker/artist. The woman depicted in the first statue is holding a bird which is taking flight. The one depicted in the second is holding a rose.

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I can't see them well enough to be absolutely sure, photos are too dark & far away for me to check for the kind of details that are attributes of any mythological figures. My impression is that they are art nouveau fantasies. And they look French to me too.

mirana, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.