Featured If you can any help identifying would be appreciated!

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by João Pereira, May 3, 2020.

1. João Pereira

João Pereira Member

received_525244074831777.jpeg Hi everyone,

So I have bought a desk I saw online that I really loved right away. Was in some storage and was gonna be thrown away. After reading a bit about how to identify the desk's age and it seems safe to say it's at least older than 1860. I based myself on the way it was put together all pins and dovetails seem to be very old and handmade. Also (not being an expert) after dropping a drop off denatured alcohol it seems the layer seem to dissolve a bit and get sticky wish according to what I read suggests it is shellac. The drawers on top unlock through a metal hidden under one of the interior shelves. Any idea who the maker or decade or style of the table? Thank you in advance. More pictures will follow.

Thank you in advance for the help!

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  2. João Pereira

João Pereira Member

received_260543842012099.jpeg Second picture.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Which country is this in please?

4. João Pereira

João Pereira Member

Rotterdam netherlands. In the old harbor.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Aha. That makes sense, it looks Dutch or German. @Any Jewelry ?

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@João Pereira if you are still here.
    Could you go to your original posts, click Edit, More Options. Next to the pictures will be Full Image, click that and Save.
    That will make your pictures larger to see. Thank you.

The edit button eventually disappears, so if it's not there not to worry. Next time.
    Welcome to the board.

7. João Pereira

João Pereira Member

Done! Thank you for the tip.

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Very good, thank you.
    The furniture people will ask for a picture of the drawer dovetails.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

With that rather heavy, sturdy look I'd say German. Very nice, João.

10. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Big, heavy German Renaissance Revival style ca. 1880. Good stuff! :)

11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I'm feeling a bit uneasy about this secretary. if German at all then German Historismus which included a style they called Altdeutsch. 1850s - 1900s.

João Pereira and i need help like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks to be built like the proverbial brick house. I have no idea about the age, but it looks very sturdy and ready to go right back to work. An American one built the same way ... 1860s would be about right. For German or Austrian, no idea.

João Pereira and Aquitaine like this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Sturdy, GORGEOUS!!! LOVE it!! I'd say you did Great for a nice solid, sturdy and very serviceable desk....Cluttered is right....can you get a picture of the dovetailing on the drawers?? Thanks!!

Oh, and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!!!! Looks like you found the right place!!!

João Pereira and Ghopper1924 like this.
  14. João Pereira

João Pereira Member

I Everyone,

Thank you very much for all the help this far.
    I must agree that after checking ou comments on its possible German origin I have tried to look for other examples and it does seem have the same "feel" as some pre 1800 German style. Still I was unable to find any similar type that could help me to pinpoint its identity better.

Bellow the pictures from the sides and back of the drawer. Daylight is better for pictures so I will take more tomorrow if these are not very clear.

Again thanks for all the input, very valuable!

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-03 at 21.47.40 (1)-min.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-05-03 at 21.47.40 (2)-min.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-05-03 at 21.47.40-min.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-05-03 at 21.47.41 (1)-min.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-05-03 at 21.47.41 (2)-min.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-05-03 at 21.47.41-min.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-05-03 at 21.47.42 (1)-min.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-05-03 at 21.47.42-min.jpeg

15. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

WOW! beautiful ! I love it .... I have a Mahogany 1970's Thai Roll top with Chinese motif carvings that I bought for a song ( $125) from a dealer at the flea market because it was so big no one wanted it ...it is impressive but no where on the same level as that ! That is beautiful !

16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

In the 19th century many older styles were copied and more often, combined. This mix of old styles was called Historic Revival, with substyles like Gothic Revival (Neogotiek in Dutch), Renaissance Revival etc.
    In German it is called Historismus, which fid mentioned.
    So it makes sense that you recognize older styles, but this is pre-1900, not pre-1800.

BoudiccaJones and João Pereira like this.
  17. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Great find!

Draft saved Draft deleted