Featured "I'll let you know today either way."

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Tiquer, Apr 28, 2024.

1. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

A woman really wanted an item from our yard sale today but "needed to check with her husband".

She took my wife's number and said we'd hear back from her today either way. It's now 7 pm and nothing. I don't know why, at my age, I'm surprised. Maybe because she didn't seem like a scammer for once.

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

At shows I've had people ask if I could hold something for them, I give them a half hour, that's it. Experience taught me not to hold items longer :sorry:

3. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Oh believe me I hear you. If someone else had asked about the item I would have sold it anyway.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yes....but he could be an arse wipe !!!

5. komokwa

poor gal, in 2024...that has to check with her husband........ for a YARD SALE item !!!!!!!!!!

6. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

I said the same thing to my wife..

7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

The vast majority of people are inconsiderate, self-centered, self-absorbed, mannerless specimens whose word is worth nothing.

If you encounter even one person who exceeds that low bar in, say, a week’s time count yourself lucky.

Otherwise, welcome to the 21st Century.

8. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

‘Checking with her husband’ probably just an excuse to give herself more time to make up her mind. What was the price of the item?

9. komokwa

that's not the folks I seek to interact with......

oh, wait.....did u mean me ? :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::eek:

10. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Truer words were never spoken.

11. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Of course not; no friction for me with Brother Komo. There have been a few unpleasant exceptions, but by and large my experience on this site is that it’s a kind of inverse ratio to the rest of the world. The majority “here” are as thoughtful and friendly as the small minority are “out there.”

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It isn't really a scam, because she wasn't after your money. As the others said, most people are inconsiderate or worse. There could also be a good reason why she didn't call, you simply don't know.
    I always did as Marie said, hold an item for half an hour, that's it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  13. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

We never heard back from her, in case anyone was wondering.

My wife's not happy about it because it's a table that I want to keep :D

14. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Sorry she never came back.

I recently had a lady tell me she had to talk to her hubbie about a matter. But for me it worked out well.

All I can say is most everyone here is a delight.
    I do agree with what was said above by @Ghopper1924

Sad, but true.

kyratango, komokwa, verybrad and 2 others like this.
  15. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

People are such flakes now. Mom lost a ton of weight fairly quickly and I boxed up some of her clothes that were too big (I counseled her to save 'fat' clothes because you just might put it back on!) .All very nice,in perfect condition.not cheap walmart stuff either. Long story short,I offered them up FREE on Nextdoor to anyone who wanted to pick them up. For the next 3 days I dealt with idiots who wanted me to hold them,wanted to go thru them and take what they want,wanted me to deliver them,etc,etc. I finally had enough and deleted it. Drove me nuts for free clothes ? No thank you !

16. komokwa

congrats to your Mom ......

to hold them............. ok, for 30 minutes..!;)

to go thru them....... ok...but only if they try on what they want... on your front yard ..!! ( can u say viral video?? ):eek::eek::eek:

to deliver them, ....ok... $20 drop fee & 5$ a mile , only on the weekend , pay upfront by cash app !:hungry::hungry::hungry::woot:

There's only one way to handle folks who want to take advantage of you....do it to them first !!

17. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Would this happen in any other country? I doubt it.

18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Any reseller worth her salt would just have hauled off the whole lot and donated anything she didn't want. Sounds like you got the idjuts instead. Figures.

mirana, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  19. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Ooooh the truth comes out! No hard hold time because down in your heart you didn't want it to go! :playful: The wife's on to your tricks!! :smuggrin:

Of course. Plenty of cultures haggle aggressively, for a start lol. Humans are gonna human.

Selfishness is built into our survival mode, even if the task at hand is a want and not a need. Playing fair and nicely is ideal but plenty didn't learn that on the playground! I try to be a balance of nice/respectful/golden rule but also defending myself from steamrolling and assholery. Sometimes that makes me an ass too. I'm working on it. :muted::hilarious:

20. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Yes there were always bad folks who are so selfish.. I should know.. some of them are my relatives.

But things have really gotten much worse IMHO.

Draft saved Draft deleted