Imari Plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by J Dagger, Dec 2, 2019 at 3:23 PM.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Anything here? I’ve assumed not much at all but not really sure. Seems to be lathe spun and hand painted. Surface is beat to heck with what I assume are cutlery marks. Thrift store grab for a buck or two a while back. I could be looking at some basic Chinese pottery and couldn’t tell the difference between a $1k plate and $10 plate in some cases. Unless the decoration is exceptional, the form special, or something clearly has tremendous age I can have a hard time. What do you see on this that tells you it is/is not valuable? The paint work to me seems nice but unremarkable, what else do you see? Little pits in the pottery are visible which I think happens during the firing. The maker was not too concerned with perfection I guess? 6A15890D-1E56-4F1E-BC6A-C2AC1EAFB27B.jpeg 0F627711-4A9F-41AE-8443-2F04E36DD4E5.jpeg 23BB201F-A69B-4E4A-8987-DAF31419FF0F.jpeg 8A0AFE24-5479-4A61-93A8-557F0331247F.jpeg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Late 19th/early 20th, I've an almost identical one which was my Ma's. As you say, relatively unremarkable, although I'm fond of mine - they're about twenty quid here.

J Dagger likes this.
  3. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I just sold one, 12" across... about the same age for $35 US.

J Dagger likes this.
  4. J Dagger

Great thanks for info! I was pretty much on the money with what your assessment was. Good to know!

5. J Dagger

Awesome! My guess was around $20-$30 if I was lucky? How was the condition of yours that sold for $35? Hard to see in the photo but mine is really badly scratched. Probably about the same size as yours.

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Try looking at Meiji period Imari plates.

aaroncab and J Dagger like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted