Featured Imari plates

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bingamum, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Bingamum

Bingamum Active Member

I’m currently digging through a box I have of antique/vintage/modern Asian porcelain. I have been living and breathing Gotheborg as well as other sites (including one with individual Kangi) and have been able to identify most pieces. I have several plates I have not been able to ID so will post them here in the next few days in hopes of help. I’ll then wrap it all back up and put it back in the cupboard but hopefully each piece will have some sort of history attached.

These two 21.5 cm (8.5 “) imari plates were wrapped up together and are similar in size and style. One has the “Three Friends” centre motif and the other has what I have seen called either “Turtle”, “Pomegranate”, or “Beetle”. The plates have the “feel” of 19th-early 20th century from what I have been reading, but as there is no mark it is all quesswork on my part. Fresh eyes please.

old plate1.jpg old plate2.jpg old plate 3.jpg old plate 4.jpg old plate 6.jpg old plate 7.jpg

Ce BCA, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd agree on your daating.

judy and Bingamum like this.
  3. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I would agree late 19th century

judy likes this.
  4. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Here in the mid west they would call that a "tick looking thing". I am glad you post these. I have a plate I am going to dig up now and get some advice on after seeing yours.

judy and Bingamum like this.
  5. Pat Dennis

Pat Dennis Active Member

Since there are no marks or country of origin, I would think they date just before the McKinley Tariff Act of 1891.

Bingamum likes this.
  6. Bingamum

Bingamum Active Member

Yes. The McKinley Act is hugely helpful and such a good measure when trying to narrow down dates. I have been told that some pieces in the early 1900s were still around without marks so I hedge my bets when estimating and tend towards a wider timeframe but these definitely have an older look. Now I need to decide what to call the central figure on the one plate: "turtle/pomegranate/beetle". I'm sure there is a legend or poem or something behind it for me to add to its history.

Draft saved Draft deleted