Impasto painting on The May Co. Artist board

Discussion in 'Art' started by billyd3us, May 25, 2018.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

I cleaned this off with water on sponge to see if I could see a signature, nothing yet unless it's hidden, any suggestions or anyone know this style ?
    Also I wonder if anyone knows how old it is

Thank You 007.JPG 009.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG 014.JPG 015.JPG

moreotherstuff likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Billy,
    NEVER clean a painting with water. Either use spit or mineral spirits. The moisture from water can and will loosen the paint and cause flaking. It might not happen all at once but it will take time.
    greg

Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

If I look hard enough, or just let my mind float, I THINK I see somewhat of a profile of a figure from the waist up facing left.....with Albert Einstein type hair......that's all I got folks......and that someone liked their palette knife!!:jawdrop::jawdrop:

komokwa likes this.
  4. billyd3us

Really ? Even on oil paint ? I sometimes if a painting is loose on the stretcher, I take it outside and turn the water hose on it then leave in the sun facing down for about 1/2 hr.

5. billyd3us

Really strange huh ? My friend who was over last night said she seen 3 figures in the painting, I see a woman's face at the top, or maybe someone painted over a masterpiece painting, oh no !

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Billy,
    Your post almost gave me heart failure. To spray water on a painting is the same as this photo shows people cleaning furniture.
    greg furniturewash.jpg

7. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

If you are absolutely positive a painting is acrylic, you can you a slightly damp sponge or paper towel.

I also cringed when I read that you hosed off your paintings. Never use water on an oil painting and if it is an older painting it's even worse. Older canvas and boards were prepared with rabbit skin glue. Rabbit skin is organic and a protein so when you wet it, it reconstitutes and softens up. You will create a crackled mess and it will eventually separate from the canvas.

The same applies for older frames. Never use water to clean it. If dusting does not clean it, you can use mineral spirits or Vulpex Soap that can be purchased from places that sell conversation supplies. If you use Vulpex, read the instructions carefully.

8. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

This painting looks like a project we did when I was in high school. We applied thick paint directly onto the canvas and then placed another canvas (or board) on top. We moved the top canvas back and forth or in small circular motions to blend the paints and then pulled the top canvas off while someone held down the bottom canvas. It created those suction like round areas that I see on your painting.

9. billyd3us

Hmm, okay Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted