Imperial Furniture side table, value and restoration help

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by OliverSand, Dec 5, 2020.

1. OliverSand

OliverSand New Member

Hi all,

I recently purchased a side table, and noticed that it had a mark which read "Imperial Grand Rapids Mich." and the number 3832 below the mark. After some searching, I found that this is a side table made by Imperial Furniture Co. in Grand Rapids, Michigan and the piece is likely mahogany. What would be a fair value for this piece?

It does have some damage, including some scratches and a ring mark. Should I sell it as is, or should I try to restore it by sanding out the marks and re-staining it?

I'd prefer to sell it, but I would keep it if I can re-stain and refinish it. Would re-staining the piece destroy its value? I don't want to ruin a valuable piece of furniture if I can help it.

IMG-6609_S.jpg 62586802581--3DDE2B86-F8D2-4794-B30C-553DCB592A51_S.jpg IMG-6600_S.jpg IMG-6599_S.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

best to sell it the way it is......
    the end user can then play with it as they choose ...........

i need help likes this.
  3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

1940s-50s mahogany traditionally-styled game table. A nice piece designed for long life, but unfortunately there is virtually no demand. In my part of the U.S. Midwest this would go for about $30-$40 at auction. As Komo said, sell it the way it is; the piece would not repay a thorough restoration.

komokwa and i need help like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Won't hurt to refinish this. Top is veneer so be sure not to sand through it if refinishing. Also, a good candidate for paint. Would actually sell better with a shabby paint treatment these days.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted