Featured Imperial Russian Caviar Spoons

Discussion in 'Silver' started by 15Stiftgasse, Dec 12, 2021.

1. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

I've have just acquired three silver spoons, which, according to my research, are sometimes described as 'caviar' spoons.
    They are quite attractive, although unfortunately, the hallmarks are not the clearest.
    Although I generally collect porcelain, I couldn't resist these, although I may yet live to regret my decision to snap 'em up !

I'd be grateful if any experts out there might be kind enough to help with a couple of questions I have.

(i) Is there a specific name for the type of work seen in the centre panels on the underside of the bowl ? For example, such as the term 'relief cut' for glass items.
    (ii) Does anyone recognise the location depicted as being from a particular town or city (eg St. Petersburg) or is it more likely just a 'typical' town scene.

Not sure whether to hang on to these (as they are 'non-core' items as regards my collecting) or whether to re-sell and use the proceeds for future purchases.
    (iii) If I were to sell, am I right in thinking that it would be more sensible to sell the spoons individually over a period of time, rather than sell them together as a part set ?

Any help will be most gratefully appreciated.

248_1076814655.jpg 248_-1748572415.jpg 248_47505207.jpg 248_-2058888186.jpg 248_898227129.jpg

Hi2022, aaroncab, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. Iouri

Iouri Well-Known Member

Hello everyone. Silver spoons has different markings, one can be made in Moscow by Master Vasily Aleksandrovich Petrov [1883-1893],other one seems to made in city St. Petersburg.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Are you sure they're not tea spoons? I ask because silver spoons are considered a no-no with caviar.

Debora

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

They're so lovely and interesting!!! Are they meant to look gold or is that just the photos??

248_47505207-edit-standard-scale-2_00x-gigapixel-sharpen-Focus.jpg

5. 15Stiftgasse

Thanks for your comments everyone. I suspect that the gold colour is the remains of gilding.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is what it looks like. Gold makes them OK to use for caviar, and this is indeed a shape used for caviar spoons in Russia.

The 84 mark is for .875 silver fineness.
    As for the marks not yet identified, they are difficult to discern but maybe @Aznathalie recognizes more.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    KikoBlueEyes, Figtree3, Iouri and 3 others like this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Better to say Tsarist silver or silver of the Imperial period rather than Imperial silver. Or have we had this discussion previously?

8. Any Jewelry

We have, but it is good to bring it up again.
    Imperial Russian or Imperial Silver refers to items from the Russian Imperial court only.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd agree that the gold wash means they can be used for caviar.

10. Iouri

Iouri Well-Known Member

Hard to see marks.Some inform about; Assey master Vasily Aleksandrovich Petrov.RUSSIAN SILVER-GILT BASKET AND A PAIR OF RUSSIAN SILVER TUMBLERS
    THE BASKET MOSCOW, 1886, ASSAY MASTER VASILY ALEKSANDROVICH PETROV; THE TUMBLERS MARK OF GRACHEV, ST. PETERSBURG, 1890.

11. Iouri

Iouri Well-Known Member

May be it gonna help to recognize that spoons ;first spoon has Assey silver marks is IK (ИK cyrillic )[Ivan Yefimovich Konstantinov. Moscow 1875- 1882 years],second spoon has Assey marks VP (BП cyrillic]Vasily Aleksandrovich Petrov [1883-1893],third has maker's marks I.A [И.А .cyrillic]-?That is marks as I can see.My guess.

12. 15Stiftgasse

Aha ! Thanks for the tip.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. 15Stiftgasse

Thanks for providing this useful info ! Much appreciated !!

Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  14. Iouri

Iouri Well-Known Member

Glad to help .

15. Aznathalie

Aznathalie Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20211214-150314~2.png Screenshot_20211214-150447~2.png Screenshot_20211214-151344~2.png 1.Autriche-Hongrie 2. Moscow.

A rider on a horse striking a snake with a spear,
    this is St. George the Victorious, the brand of the city of
    1888_assay masters.jpg
    As you can see from the table, how many assistants the assayer had. When the master brought a dozen spoons, for example, they could take two assayers and immediately walk, brand these spoons with their brands. This explains the different assay marks on the same spoons Master, as I understand it, AND L. The catalog of goldsmiths under the editorship of Ivanov gives about 30 masters with the stamp of I.L. Yours, possibly Lapkin

15Stiftgasse, Figtree3, Iouri and 2 others like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Well spotted, eagle-eye Nathalie!:pompous:;) Those are indeed Austro-Hungarian import marks, 1891-1901.

17. Aznathalie

This is a stigma for imported products of Austria-Hungary, that is, after the spoons were made in Russia, they ended up in Austria-Hungary, they paid a duty for them, they put a stigma and these items could be freely sold in this country, and in the end these spoons ended up in you!

18. Aznathalie

I was helped on the Russian forum.

15Stiftgasse and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Always good to have some back-up.:)

15Stiftgasse likes this.
  20. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "stigma" in this context @Aznathalie ?

15Stiftgasse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted