Featured Impressionist painting? worth considering or run far far away?!

Discussion in 'Art' started by Elen Beattie, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I just saw this on Marketplace and was somewhat intrigued. What do you think? Is it really and oil painting, canvas on board? I find the subject matter and volume of people in the scene interesting. This is seller description:

Original oil painting on canvas laid down on board.24” X 10” Signed E B with no other signature or labels. Comes with period frame which could be reduced for a more perfect fit.

Thoughts welcome, as it is pricey (I never pay much for anything) and wanted to get some opinions before even considering making any kind of offer. Thanks! Apologies, these are not my images and are not the best quality.

Impressionist painting 1.jpg Impressionist painting 2.jpg Impressionist painting 3.jpg Impressionist painting 4.jpg Impressionist painting 5.jpg Impressionist painting 6.jpg

2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

3. Elen Beattie

Thanks a lot for for this it is very much the same as his. Do you think it could be legit or a copy? Odd about the sig. Ot would definitely be a find if it was! I will have to research..

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Good advice from Fid above. It's a (cropped) copy of Eugène-Louis Boudin's 'The Beach at Trouville.' 1863. Oil on wood panel. The Phillips Collection.

Debora

brm349569.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    Firemandk, patd8643, smallaxe and 3 others like this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

from the size and format hard to say, if it's not a copy directly painted on the linen wall fabric of a hotel reception as publicity and saved when the hotel was demolished ?

6. Elen Beattie

I have asked the seller for more pictures, it's a curious thing!

7. Elen Beattie

Thanks for locating the original Debora! I find it an odd copy for sure..

8. Elen Beattie

anundverkaufen and Fid like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It is not a study.

Debora

Elen Beattie and blooey like this.
  10. Elen Beattie

Ok, of course you're right! Best case scenario 'follower' or 'circle of', worst case scenario modern copy/fake. Do you think it looks like it has an age? I may be able to tell better when I get more images I suppose.

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It does appear to have some age and the frame, if indeed period and original, may offer some clues as to when it was created. It could well be a copy done by a member of the public in the museum where the work hung. (That used to be allowed and was, until fairly recently, a common practice.) It is not a good enough copy to have been created to deceive.

Debora

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

13. Elen Beattie

Yes I agree, and to sign 'E.B' rather than full name seems a little odd to me if you wanted to produce a proper fake. I will post more images when I get them, if it is older perhaps it might be worth a go if not too expensive (or not lol).

14. Elen Beattie

15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

that they don't know a word of English. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

16. Elen Beattie

Hi, so these for a few of the pics that the seller sent me- said that previous owner stuck it in the frame with tape and perhaps added that wooden strip on the inside? Either way, I think I may have to pass on it..final thoughts? :shame:lol

PaintingFrame.jpg

PaintingBack.jpg

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's enhanced by the frame.

Debora

Elen Beattie likes this.
  18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

what's the price they ask ?

19. Elen Beattie

They were asking 450 CAD. I considered offering maybe $200-$300 max as I thought that perhaps if an older copy I could maybe still make a bit of a profit. I'm not sure though, what do you think?

20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think the seller is very optimistic.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted