Impressionist Watercolor - Flowers - help with signature

Discussion in 'Art' started by finders, Feb 9, 2023.

1. finders

finders Member

This watercolor has been in my collection for perhaps ten years - a thrift store find I'm sure - It reminds me a bit of Nolde. From time to time I re-examine the signature so though I would seek some help via this forum. My latest guess is Goodall. Welcome suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Please go back to your post and edit to change the images from thumbnail to full image. ;)

mirana likes this.
  3. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Looks more like "Goodell" to me, perhaps T Goodell. Not impressionist, but a stylized floral still life in watercolor. Specfically watercolor on a wet, saturated paper. Looks mid-to-late 20th century to me. Would love to see the back.

The mat is acid burned and will stain the piece (if it hasn't already). You should think about taking it apart and putting acid-free mats and materials on it. You might also find more info about it on the inside.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd love to see the entire work including frame. (Frames are helpful to dating.)

Debora

mirana likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And I've taken the liberty of reposting your photographs as Full Image so they're easier for everyone to see.

Debora

goodall1.jpg goodall2.jpg

Any Jewelry, mirana and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Signature could well be "T. Goodell." In what market did you find the work? I ask because may be the work of a talented local artist.

Debora

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    mirana and Bakersgma like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Kind of an odd orientation of the signature to the main image, no?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Yes, but given it's definitely readable characters and definitely a floral still life... I'm gonna go with the "artists are weird, especially with signatures" guess. :bucktooth:

Any Jewelry, Roaring20s and Bakersgma like this.
  9. finders

finders Member

Thanks for the very useful information to include recommendation to reframe. I'm away from home at the moment so will provide photo of entire piece when I return. In terms of market - can't actually recall except that it was either thrift/consignment shop or estate sale. I live in the metropolitan Washington, DC area so we come across items literally from around the world! That said agree it could well be the work of a local artist. Thanks again for the comments and for helping with my photos.

mirana and Bakersgma like this.
  10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I agree, not Impressionist, but nice, quick, watercolor sketch :)

mirana likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted