Featured Incredible Silver Bust

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Daniel G, Feb 17, 2020.

1. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Nope. I just did a bit of googling and came across what I posted. :)

2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I think it's something to be looked at by an expert, one experienced in Medieval or Renaissance and/or ecclesiastical silver, believe very few people have experience with something like this. Seems like there should be some sort of history to be found somewhere - are you able to contact the heirs for any provenance?

Don't believe you've addressed the question of a compartment for the relic, without that dedicated space for the precious bit, it pretty much denies 'reliquary'. Don't see any issue with the lettering style, same as you'd see in illuminations of the supposed era, yet it somehow looks odd - the 'Sancta' would be Latin rather than Spanish, and the piece could as easily be Italian or French (for what it's worth, the mark reminded me of a worn crown *shrug*)

Believe I have at least one book here on Renaissance silver, can take a look later on, but that's all I've got - it is a pretty thing...

~Cheryl

3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I don't believe OP has the bust in hand at this time. I have found it still listed for online auction, which is where I got the extra photos of her.

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

@Aquitaine Was this your question? A reliquary is an object for safely holding & often displaying a relic, some tangible bit believed to have come from a holy source: a nail from the cross, a scrap of the veil of the Virgin, a finger bone of St. So&So. The reliquary for Guillermo has a fragment of skull visible in a compartment at the back, where the bone belongs anatomically. If OP is a reliquary, what is the relic & where is it held inside?

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Daniel G, I too found her, but not to worry, she's out of my league and am well past buying anything.....I just wanted to see if there were any other images with potential clues....the one showing underneath......DID have some faint markings that were also SO tiny, that it was hard to make anything of them....my trusty enlarging program did NOT work for these tiny marks, sorry to say, but I DID circle them......Best of luck with your item!!!!

INSIDE INFO IN FELICIA.jpg

Christmasjoy, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  6. Aquitaine

@Bronwen, yes it was.....thank you so much for explaining that to me!!:happy:

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

8. Daniel G

Daniel G Well-Known Member

Thanks Aqui. I have three items targeted. We’ll see how it goes next Sunday! I miss the days before these online auctions. ;)

9. DragonflyWink

Ahhh, was under the impression you already bought this - the auction house was quite careful to avoid assigning a specific age to the piece, mentions Spanish, but more properly falls under the 'Continental' designation, and the other images don't seem to show any indication it's a reliquary...

~Cheryl

10. Aquitaine

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I think it was stolen from a church..

12. Daniel G

Best to do your homework BEFORE you buy, Cheryl ;). I have worked a great deal with the auctioneer. He is extremely conservative when describing pieces.
    I am waiting for the auctioneer to return my call regarding the piece’s ability to store relics. I have also inquired about the provenance and history of the piece. He supposedly has a great deal of documentation. Will post when I receive a response.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  13. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Perhaps she had some sort of base that was capable of storing relics.
    Looking forward to hearing more!

14. Daniel G

I just called again and spoke with his assistant. He is in meetings for the remainder of the day so it may be tomorrow. That being said, he is good about responding the same day so he may try me later this evening.

15. DragonflyWink

Yup, I pretty much know what I'm buying, though will sometimes go with my gut, and it usually pays off.

Does strike me as odd to give so little information if he has "a great deal of documentation" - if you don't have much on an item, then it's prudent to be conservative in the description, but if you have reliable information concerning a piece, it's in the best interest of the owner and the auctioneer to present it in order to bring the best result (of course, better for you as the buyer if it's undervalued). Looking forward to his response...

~Cheryl

16. Daniel G

just to clarify my comment regarding documentation, Cheryl. The estate has plenty of documentation, not necessarily specific to this lot. I absolutely agree with your thoughts on representing the best interests of the consignor. As a buyer, it can certainly provide an opportunity when you know more than the auction house.

kyratango, Aquitaine, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  17. Daniel G

Ok, I heard back quickly but we are traveling so regretfully, I was unable to post right away. The response was rather disappointing. They have not sifted through all of the documentation and receipts “yet” from the consigning estate. The word “yet” is troubling since I believe this should be part of the cataloging process. Additionally, they described this as a reliquary because the most comparable silver pieces were described as such. While it is indeed a very lovely silver piece, with an unknown origin and no provenance, my interest is mediocre and as such, I am likely to bid but be more focused on two other pieces. I will get a closer look at the preview this weekend.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    bluumz, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I believe this should be part of the cataloging process.

ya.....that should have already been done......and the fact that it wasn't and isn't and he's making excuses.....and...................u get the point !

Bronwen likes this.
  19. Daniel G

Sold for a tad over $7000, inclusive of buyers premium. The Thomas Boulton silver loving cup went for $2,420, where I tapped out.

20. Daniel G

Sorry, just over $5900, not $7000 on this.

Bronwen and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted