Indian? Brass collar

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, May 1, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I bought a lot with some ethnic jewellery in it which is definitely not something I know anything about. I know this is only brass,glass and beaten scrap but I'm interested to find out about it. Suffering from verdigris so would you clean and polish before moving it on or not?.
    Thanks for looking :)
    FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

My guess would also be India. If it is, it would most likely be from the north, with those blue and red glass cabs.
    Enough to get rid of the verdigris, but don't overpolish it. This is one for the boho crowd, they like that old look.

kyratango and KSW like this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Cool, Thankyou. Are these likely Indian too? About 2 inches long.
    IMG_5855.JPG IMG_5856.JPG

4. Any Jewelry

They could be Moroccan.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and KSW like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The necklace would be considered a torque. The turquoise and coral point eastward from Morocco. India perhaps.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Doesn't strike me as North African. They love silver and gold filigree and repoussé, beautiful enamels, anything nicely (overly?) decorated.
    Blue and red, whether as glass or real stones, is found a lot in Central Asia and the Himalayas, including the southside of the Himalayas.
    Given that it is brass and looks like 'just' costume, made for a certain fashion with no real link to tradition, I would say India is a good candidate.

Ethnic jewellery is often an investment. Brass jewellery can be pretty, but you can't sell it for melt value if you need money.

Christmasjoy and Debora like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted