Featured Indian Brass Table "School of Art Jeypore"

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 808 raver, Oct 19, 2017.

1. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I last posted.....Sorry :(
    This is a cut above the rest brass table, signed and marked "School of art Jeypore" (SOAJ) I took a punt on this lot on ebay with some bad photos because I thought this might be a SOAJ piece, I couldn't ask the seller if it had writing on the back as that would have given the game away. I was very happy to find out when it was delivered that it was and what a cracker :)
    The reason for posting is not only to show it off but I was wondering if any of you fine and knowledgeable people can help me with the signature?
    It's 60cm wide with plain folding teak legs and dates around 1900-1930
    Sorry about the pictures, it's hard to take photos of shiny brass DSCF2445 (Medium).JPG DSCF2446 (Medium).JPG DSCF2447 (Medium).JPG DSCF2448 (Medium).JPG DSCF2449 (Medium) (2).JPG DSCF2455 (Medium).JPG DSCF2457 (Medium).JPG DSCF2458 (Medium).JPG DSCF2445 (Medium).JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

great table top !!!
    better'n most..!!

& shame on you for not posting more often..........:playful::playful::playful::playful::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: !!!!

3. 808 raver

I know,,, it's like going to confession :) "sorry I have sinned" :(
    I bought the table for £50 including P/P it's the best SOAJ table I've ever seen so I'm hoping for a big profit if I sell :)

4. 808 raver

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Exquisite! And thats not a word i use lightly.Do you have the stand as well?

yourturntoloveit, judy and 808 raver like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That plus its stand for 50 quid? Sweet deal. I don't think I've ever seen one in the US, but then we weren't the export market for Indian brass that the Empire was.

7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Beautiful table! I've never heard of School of Art Jeypore before, thanks for sharing this information:)

8. 808 raver

Thank you, yes I have the stand, 6 folding legs made out of teak, unusually, not carved.

yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  9. 808 raver

You would be surprised, I have seen many Anglo Indian pieces in the US but the cost of getting them to the UK can make it nonviable. Yes £50, it spent the whole week in the right category without attracting a single bid.

10. 808 raver

I hadn't before looking for antiques that are hard or impossible to reproduce. I saw this table from the SOAJ on ebay and fell in love but it was a bit rich for me (worth it) so I've been on the lookout ever since
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Indian-ta...rved-base-School-of-Art-Jeypore-/172799031704

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is absolutely stunning, raver.
    Do you have a photo of the central medallion? The text probably refers to the image on the medallion.
    It is surrounded by Hindu Gods and other powerful figures. More arms = more power.
    Lotus flowers, Kalpataru, it has the lot. Kalpataru is a heavenly tree that can make wishes come true. It is the symbol of royalty.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    yourturntoloveit, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Central motif looks to be from the Delhi Durbar for Vicky's Jubilee.

13. Any Jewelry

I think it is a scene from mythology, but we can only tell if we see it in detail.
    It could have been made for any Durbar (court). If it is, it is more likely from a Rajasthani Durbar or a courtly festive occasion, which would look much like a Delhi Durbar.
    But during the Delhi Durbars (there were several) and Rajasthani palace occasions, I would expect to see elephants.
    This carriage, drawn by one or several horses (is that a row of heads?), could have to do with a battle scene, like the battle of Kurukshetra in the Mahabharata.
    Or even a bride on her way to a wedding.

yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  14. 808 raver

These are about the best I can do ATM, I have a 7 year old demanding my attention lol

Attached Files:

aaroncab likes this.
  15. 808 raver

16. 808 raver

DSCF2476 (Medium).JPG DSCF2477 (Medium).JPG DSCF2476 (Medium).JPG DSCF2477 (Medium).JPG

Attached Files:

17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Not sure you can tell from this AJ.....this is just from enlarging the computer screen and a bit of sharpening.......OOOOOPS....NEVER MIND!!!! I see Raver just posted a nice sharp thumb print of the center!!!!!!! And separate ones of the lettering!!! IT IS A STUNNING PIECE OF WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Any Jewelry

Thanks for posting the pictures, and thanks Aquitaine. I am not going to name each one and explain their meaning, but it is quite a pantheon.

Raver, this is a very interesting piece, very rare, not just because of its beauty. It is connected with a very small Hindu sect.
    The central figure is Surya, the god of the sun and the planets. The sun disc is shown behind his head.
    [​IMG]
    Surya is often portrayed riding a chariot drawn by seven horses or, as in this case, one horse with seven heads. These seven heads represent the colors of the rainbow and the seven chakras, or energy centres, in the body.
    Surya is the only God who is worshipped by humans and all supernatural beings, even the demons. That means he can be called upon to intervene in any situation.
    It is clear that Surya is the main God in this table, the others are 'relegated' to the rim. The Hindu sect which regards Surya as supreme God, or as supreme manifestation of divinity, is called the Sauras. There are very few Sauras left in India, which is why this is so extremely rare.

Some of the other Gods and Goddesses, without an explanation, that's a bit too much right now:
    Lovely Tara, in the lotus flower.
    Monkey God Hanuman.
    Ganesha with the elephant head.
    Hayagriva with the horse's head.
    Narasimha with the lion's head.
    Kali, the terrible manifestation of Goddess Durga. This is the merry girl running around with someone's head.
    Shiva, of course, with the snake around his neck.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  19. 808 raver

Wow that's so amazing, thank you, what a knowledge you have. I hadn't realised there was more than one Hindu religion but I didn't realise there were over 60 languages in India either. I am now going to look up Sauras.....I'll be back after my Sons bedtime.

20. 808 raver

Well I haven't found out any more than Any has said but she was very comprehensive. I'm not sure if the rarity of this item is a blessing or a hindrance, if the Saura sect has almost died out then will there be anybody to bid on it? Anyway I'll post a picture of the legs hopefully tonight

Draft saved Draft deleted