Featured Indian chief- 1935 embroidery

Discussion in 'Art' started by Boland, Dec 15, 2023.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

77D57919-A875-4906-8AB8-9327F13A0702.jpeg F3BD2BF6-0752-4274-8C4A-9B7292684F12.jpeg 476AFC91-9137-437D-B25C-2F625F72D9D4.jpeg 0F79DDB0-2BBD-4CE8-8413-188231B3FFE1.jpeg 0B4E16A7-2E4B-4715-8B1F-7DC54B78AD40.jpeg Hi all,I don’t usually like embroidery work but this is very cool. I really like the detail work especially the feathers. Searching MG embroidery got me nowhere (obviously) but cars.

Framed in the UK. It’s 40 x 47cm. Pity about the water damage along the border. What do you think of it? Thanks

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It may have been made from a kit. MG would not have been a professional artist, so I don't think you'll find any info.

3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks AJ,was also thinking probably talented amateur. But didn’t think it was a kit. I will search some more examples.

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree that likely done from kit or pattern.

Debora

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

talented for sure.......but the ermine tails falling down from the headdress tells me kit or pattern is most likely..

Boland and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Boland likes this.
  7. komokwa

the feathers should be, but the not the tails falling down each side of the face...

[​IMG]

mirana, Boland and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

See 'em now. Thank you for pointing them out. (And I really do need to get those reading glasses I've been putting off.)

Debora

komokwa and Boland like this.
  9. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. Not really understanding the
    comment but try and figure it out. Also not finding any kits from the 1930’s. I only find the 1970’s ones. So may a pattern.

komokwa likes this.
  10. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Anyway in my mind a cool thing for $5.

mirana and komokwa like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Would have been something along the lines of this. Given the specific palette, I would think a kit more likely.

Debora

s-l1600.png

Boland likes this.
  12. komokwa

[​IMG]

not all headdresses used ermine tails......and a more generic version of a native Chief might have side feathers.....and not that much jacket r beadwork....

so...... I'm rethinking my comments ....thinking your work may likely have been taken from a photo......or painting of the era...as it seems way more detailed that a kit might be..

Last edited: Dec 15, 2023
    Boland likes this.
  13. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thank you for the information . I appreciate the explanation (I didn’t get that before)

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted