Featured Indian head penny bracelet. Copper? Wearable?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Jul 7, 2019.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Found this and thought it was interesting. I usually find coin bracelets in gold or silver but never copper. Atleast I think it is copper. Obviously I know the pennies are copper but the bracelet? I see remnants of what looks like old copper plating? How old is the bracelet part? How should I go about cleaning it and wearing it or would it turn my wrist green? Any info is appreciated! I am very unfamiliar with copper jewelry!
    20190707_160949_resized.jpg 20190707_160959_resized.jpg

kyratango, Rayo56 and Xristina like this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Older but not that much older - 70"s??? and really not worth too much - those very common indians are in worn condition and now they are "holed" - seems like the only good cent was taken off the bracelet. Indian Cents - 95% copper 5% zinc & tin. I bet @daveydempsey can fill you in more......

3. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Oh I collect coins and know these are not worth much. I am just more interested in the curb link bracelet and when perhaps this piece was put together.

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

All I can add is, your wrist will go green.

To counteract this I've heard of people coating bracelets with clear nail varnish.

Some believe wearing copper bracelets helps prevent arthritis.

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think age is probably 1950s - 70s give or take a few years.
    Most likely sold through a souvenir shop setting, or something similar.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Someone might well have put the pennies onto the bracelet later. The bracelet could be 50s very easily, with pennies added in the 60s or 70s. The brass clasp strikes me as odd, so I'm guessing someone put this together out of bits later rather than earlier.

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

@evelyb30
    I suspect someone changed the clasp. A lot of the inexpensive souvenir stuff had those clasps that flipped down over the jump ring. They usually would pop open and you would loose the bracelet.

Sorry, I'm not a good drawer.
    Something like this.

upload_2019-7-7_23-27-36.png

Bev aka thelmasstuff and SBSVC like this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

At least they took off the one in the middle so the look is balanced. But I notice that all of them are closer to one end than the other. So either there were more pennies originally, or this was put together by an amateur, as was suggested above.

9. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I'm going to agree with Cluttered. I seem to recall these bracelets from the 1960's.

As for the clasp, here's a Lincoln penny bracelet with what seems to be an original clasp:
    img0 (284).jpg
    Vintage Multi 1955 Wheat Pennies Necklace and Matching Bracelet Set Demi Parure
    from eBay seller the2kathys

This one uses 1971 UK coins:
    img0 (286).jpg
    Vintage New Penny charm Bracelet Copper of Elizabeth II of England
    from eBay seller sawgrass4

clutteredcloset49 and Figtree3 like this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

I think this is the case and pennies fell off or were taken off

Figtree3 and SBSVC like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I have plenty of those foldovers around. Can't say I'm too fond of them either; they aren't all that secure and the heavy pennies probably pulled it loose one time too many.

Draft saved Draft deleted