Featured Indicators That A Yard/Garage Sale Isn't Worth Stopping At?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joe2007, Aug 11, 2020.

1. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Ewwwww.

Bronwen and reader like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My cat has barfed on my shoes more than once - one time in a closet when I was in the hospital. Found it after it had gone moldy... ick. Then there was the time one cat had better aim. Found it IN the shoe... the hard way. After that, a little mold or cigarette stink isn't that big of a gross-out. Mouse poop still is. I'm allergic to the mold and the ciggies, but you can de-skunk most things.

3. HippAntiques

HippAntiques Well-Known Member

When they just have tarps and tarps of clothes or baby clothes, and tons of toys.

4. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Hey I was just happy it was from the upper end!

Bronwen likes this.
  5. reader

reader Well-Known Member

It took me 3 months to fully deskunk my dog. Worst experience ever. Skunk got him full face. I knew the animal people here would agree that we’ve all dealt with far grosser stuff than a little gunk on an earring lol.

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I cite being one who gardens in a very green garden which is a slug haven. Bloody things.

7. evelyb30

We used to use beer to kill garden slugs. Put a disposable can or whatever into the ground level with the surface. Fill with cheap beer. Slugs crawl in and die. It's the only use I ever found for American lager.(LOL)

J Dagger, reader, Ownedbybear and 2 others like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I remember yards, she says wistfully.

Grateful, J Dagger, Happy! and 5 others like this.
  9. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I was covered with cat hair for about the last five years living with my most recent ex. I stepped on its puke more than once too. Now live with a puppy and stepped in pee plenty during those first few months. Fun times! I’m a huge germaphobe but I love treasure hunting so much that while doing it I’m willing to dig through just about anything. I have to say that since Covid I just wear gloves when hunting and I love it. I might just keep the practice up if it ends. Even during Covid people look at me weird because I’m wearing them though.

komokwa, ola402, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  10. J Dagger

I had an organic garden at a place I lived a whilee back. It was just infested with slugs. The worst I’ve ever seen. I put egg shell shards out at the base of plants. Not sure if it really helped but it’s supposed to. The beer trick does work some. Tuna cans are good for it. I used to just go out with chop sticks, a flashlight, and a can of salt water every night around midnight. I picked slugs for like 20 mins a night. I actually got to enjoy it. My neighbors must have thought I was an an absolute crazy person though.

komokwa, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  11. J Dagger

I dislike the mouse poop quite a bit!!! Reminds me of a story my dad told. He used to have a chihuahua when he was a kid that peed in his boot every single chance it got. Hahaha!

Bronwen, reader and kyratango like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The caat has just deposited two slugs on the kitchen floor. He has very thick fur and the damn things adhere.

komokwa, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:eek::yuck:

14. reader

reader Well-Known Member

LOL I’ll take the DNA earring. Seriously, been there, done similar.

Ownedbybear, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  15. evelyb30

Better slugs than ticks. Slugs don't bite.

Me too. My hands used to get filthy at some sales. With the gloves, no ick.

16. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Didn't someone here previously state that diatomaceous earth takes care of slugs. Liberally, sprinkled around the base of plants, it's supposed to be a minefield for slugs.

clutteredcloset49 and Bronwen like this.
  17. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Yes I've talked about diatomaceous earth many times.
    You want to use the food grade. Not the pool stuff, that has added chemicals.
    The garden supply sells diatomaceous earth, but it has a bug attractant in it.

The food grade won't hurt your pets.

Adding:
    Each time you water, you need to reapply.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    J Dagger, gregsglass and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted