Indonesian bamboo container

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by JohnNL, Apr 30, 2018.

1. JohnNL

JohnNL Well-Known Member

Picked up one more thing on the Kingsday fleamarkets this year: this bamboo container with wooden lid and foot. The animal on top is a turtle. I don't think it is very old (last part of 20e centrury?). The height is about 17,5 cm.
    On internet I found two objects (with similar stopper and decoration) one attributed to the Sasak (Lombok) another attiributed to Timor (no specific tribe mentioned). I guess they are not both true (if any)! Can anyone help me in determining the origin? IMG_2859klein.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I'd say it's from West Timor, a lidded container for powdered lime used when chewing betel nut.

judy, JohnNL, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2018-4-30_20-19-34.jpeg

I'd say Lombok....they do so luv their goofy finials...

judy, Any Jewelry and JohnNL like this.
  4. JohnNL

JohnNL Well-Known Member

Very similar indeed!

upload_2018-5-1_7-37-25.png
    This is the one attributed to Timor. But is a home decoration site, so not necessaraly very trustworthy information. Did you find a similar example from Timor, Taupau?

judy likes this.
  5. JohnNL

JohnNL Well-Known Member

Is that a handshaped finial?! Very goofy indeed :)

6. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I was just looking at the designs on the sides, which looks more like those you see in Timor art. True, the carved finial looks like those figures you see on some Lombok baskets.

I haven't checked any web sites (which I don't place a lot of faith in, generally,)I was just basing it on my rather limited experience with Indonesian art, and the fact that I have a small collection of lime containers myself.

I'd agree that this is fairly recent, and made primarily for the tourist market. It's one of the more popular types of souvenirs from Indonesia, found in gift shops all over that part of the world. Which may explain why there are different claims as to where it is from. Where it was purchased may not have anything to do with where it was made. And where it was made may not be where the design itself originated.

judy likes this.
  7. JohnNL

JohnNL Well-Known Member

Yes, I can see why. But I have to start somewhere, so i hope for multiple sites preferably museums and the like. But can be very confusing. ;)
    Tnx for your expertise!

Exasperating! But it makes sense. :(

judy likes this.
  8. komokwa

yes.
    Just like yours.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with komo, Lombok. Made by the Sasak people.
    As komo said, the goofy finial is one of the telltale signs. Animal carvings abound in Indonesia, but Sasak animals are often depicted in a humourous way.
    The lizard carving on the sides look a but like Timorese carvings, but are pretty generic.
    The scroll-carving has Hindu-Javanese influence, which could stem either from the East Javanese Majapahit era, or from the period of colonization by Bali.
    The dominant culture of Bali is derived from Hindu-Javanese (native Balinese is different again).
    The container on the home decor site is also from Lombok. I think they just get a shipment from Indonesia, and someone has to figure out what to put in the ad. Decorative is important, provenance isn't.

These are Timorese containers, from a site I trust, they know their stuff. Most of their art and information comes from old Dutch colonial collections:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.kunst-uit-bali.nl/kunstwerken.aspx?produkt-id=697

Timorese container with lizard decoration:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.thekerrgallery.com/index.php?/oceanic/lime-containers---timor/

judy and komokwa like this.
  10. komokwa

I've been looking at Lombok baskets and carvings for so long , I see them in my dreams.............:(:(

11. Any Jewelry

You know those monster lizards aren't real, don't you? At least not on Lombok....
    Komodo is another story, but I don't want to cause any nightmares.

judy and JohnNL like this.
  12. komokwa

13. komokwa

did you mean Komo Dragons...........:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

judy likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

I did, didn't want to reveal my own dragon identity, but there you are. I don't drool like the Komodo dragons, though.:eek:
    They are also called Komodo monitor, which sounds more friendly. Or like a newspaper.:)

15. komokwa

yes , they are monitor lizards......worlds largest......creepy throwbacks to when our world was young......and they drool very corrosive slime....
    I respect em.......& keep my distance !

Now a KOMO Dragon.......well that's special !!! Weeeeeeeeee !!!!!!

judy, JohnNL and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. JohnNL

JohnNL Well-Known Member

I know these, because i sold them to him :) I'm sure they are form Timor as well, not sure how old. But they have lot's of different types on Timor i think.

17. Any Jewelry

I though komo was a small Komodo dragon?:D I always knew there was some dragon link between us.:happy:

komokwa, judy and JohnNL like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Aha!:)

19. Any Jewelry

A lovely Shamanic carving, Sasak, Lombok. You can see the origin of the attractive animal carvings they still produce:
    [​IMG]

20. Any Jewelry

A bit more fun.
    A Shamanic healing wand with a typical Sasak style crooked face. The carving on the sleeves and on the stand are classic Hindu Javanese/Balinese. The coins are 'kepeng', Chinese cash coins which were used as currency in parts of Indonesia well into the 20th century:
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted