Featured INFO ON LARGE (44" x 35") ALL WOOD (EVEN SAILS) MODEL SHIP

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Mar 27, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a 2nd hand furniture store yesterday - paid only $50 for it + 2 vintage taxi cab roof top lights!

The ship is BIG - 44" wide x 35" tall ! it is all made of a beautiful wood - even the sails (& yes it is covered in a layer of dust; it just came out of a storage unit where it appears it's been for several years judging by the dust on everything (according to my friend who owns the store & won the unit)

Any idea of it's age? (it appears attached to the stand it is on, but I will look again today - didn't older ones sit in a stand that you could life them out of?)

What kind of ship it is? (I thought Chinese junk but googling that showed no ship that looked like mine)

What kind of wood is it made from? (when I wiped away some dust from sail (see the sail on 2nd mast from rear where I swiped it with my finger - showing the beautiful wood) + the wood on it's hull - it is a beautiful wood!)

Thanks for any info, it is appreciated!

COLLECTIBLE MODEL SHIP WOOD 1AA.JPG
    COLLECTIBLE MODEL SHIP WOODEN RESIZED 1.JPG

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Try schooner & see what you think. 'tis lovely imho.

3. journeymagazine

I did - none with wood sails?

Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

This ship has square rigged sails, so it's not a schooner. It's variation of a Barque sailing vessel... these sort of models started being made in Spain in the 1950's...then by the 70's Asian countries made the lions share of them. Sometimes the bottom of the base is marked with country of origin. This one looks on the newer side, maybe 80's - 90's.

5. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Barque...bark...wood...

6. journeymagazine

Thanks Drew - I"ll check bottom.
    Any idea of value? (I"m sure if it's a newer chinese one it won't be as valuable?)
    Thanks again

7. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

You paid pretty much what it's worth. These used to be popular years ago but have gone down hill.

8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

A beauty, no matter what you paid for it.

silverthwait likes this.
  9. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Hey, it's a nice ship. The longer I buy relics, the more I say to myself, if I like it - buy it !

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted