INFO & VALUE ON 1890 CARVED BONE? CANE/WALkING STICK HANDLE?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Aug 19, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thanks for name: Bourke style eye shields - I've never seen or heard of them!

Christmasjoy and sabre123 like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5B41EF52-238A-4EFA-9C8C-C112A2F76DAC.jpeg
    What about here? This is under where the wolf is.

Christmasjoy, Jivvy and Fid like this.
  3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I used to be able to click on an image and it would enlarge. not any more

4. i need help

D960066B-EC3F-45CC-A860-4BB4745AEBB2.jpeg
    Got a little blurry, but I tried to enlarge.

5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I think it depends on the resolution(pixel dimensions) of the uploaded photo. I can still click to enlarge pictures if they are high resolution. If they are small files they won't enlarge when you click them, at least that's how it works for me.

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  6. i need help

If it’s someothing on my end, I really am not good at understanding all that. It’s the best I can do on on my cell. It usually turns out to be scratches anyway. :(
    If you look so OPs first picture, you can see it there, on the “stem” part.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  7. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

The glass extinguishers are more than likely filled with Carbon tetrachloride, which is carcinogenic and poisonous . I used to have a lot of them, key words being "used to have " . The 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake turned my storage shed into a "Haz Mat"..... Don't drink it and bath in it is the best advice......lol.
    My Dad worked 27 years at a Tannery and they used to dip their tools in PCB oil to keep them from oxidizing, and at 83 he doesn't have cancer ( But he does have an auto-immune disease). Best to steer clear of the nasties...

8. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Definitely something there...

temp.png

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

Sorry, just got home - I will try to photograph it so we can see what it is - GREAT eye!

10. journeymagazine

Here is the picture I got from under dragon + under the man - maybe it was wrapped in newspaper and then looks like they varnished it?
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY CANE HANDLE 9AA.jpg
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY CANE HANDLE 9CAA.jpg

Jivvy likes this.
  11. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Perhaps a scrap of newspaper was used to make it fit better into a cane, with glue applied.

Jivvy likes this.
  12. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Just wanted to mention that when I switched to a Windows 10 machine (a year & a half ago) I lost the "old" Photo software that was on Windows 7. In order to reduce photo size to show here on this board, I had to pick a separate resizing app, which is what I have to use to make my pictures small enough when I post here.

Well, not a single photo that I have resized with that program will enlarge here on the board. If I happen to post an older photo that was sized in Windows 7, you can click on it, and it WILL enlarge.

I don't know the reason, but that has to be at least PART of what's keeping some of the posted photos on the board from enlarging. (i.e. I can't be the only one!)

judy likes this.
  13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I can enlarge Journey's photos. I also think that someone rolled up some newspaper and used glue or shellack in order to make it tighter.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted