Information on an Old Chinese or Japanese Ginger Jar?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by RLM Stamps, Feb 20, 2021.

1. RLM Stamps

RLM Stamps Member

This old Ginger jar has been in my family for many years. My father would have been 100 years old last year. This jar was from his family. I am not sure if it is Chinese, Japanese, or how old it could be. It is three pieces and there are marks on the inside of each one. The marks seem to line up to make the jar go together properly. I asked a forum about this jar some years back. It may have been this forum. I cannot remember what information was shared with me and unfortunately, I did not print or save it. I did search this forum for it but had no luck. I just signed up for this forum and have had the same email address for many years. So, if I posted some years back, I thought when signing up it may have indicated that I was already a member. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

1 - Yellow Ginger Jar-scfopt.jpg 3 - Maker-s Mark Yellow Ginger Jar-scfopt.jpg 6 - Detail Maker-s Mark YGJ-scfopt.jpg

moreotherstuff likes this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It is Japanese and it could be either Satsuma or Kutani ware. The subject of Japanese cranes is more commonly Kutani, but the clay (Kyoto style) is more commonly Satsuma. You are quite correct, the marks are just for lining or batching the products when they are made (in the same way glass stoppers are matched to decanters in the 19th century). It would appear to be late 19th century, Meiji period. Nice to see a yellow ground example, they are not particularly common. Unfortunately without a makers mark it is unlikely the maker could be traced.

moreotherstuff and John Brassey like this.
  3. RLM Stamps

RLM Stamps Member

Thank you very much for your fast and informative response. When you stated that
    "they are not particularly common" that arose my curiosity. Would it be out of line to ask an opinion on it's approximate value? There are no chips or scratches on it.
    I would also like to ask, what is a "ground example"?

4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

this would read better as: yellow background example

komokwa likes this.
  5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

We tend to call the base layer glaze the 'ground' in the UK, so as the poster above pointed out you could also call it the yellow background. In undamaged condition and assuming it is of a standard size for a ginger jar I could see it being retailed in the UK at around £150-200 from a dealer. A private seller online would likely get less and at real world auction around half the retail price - although the auction market is fickle so could be much worse or occasionally better.

6. RLM Stamps

RLM Stamps Member

Thank you again for all of this information. I do have some other items that I will most likely be asking about. I have been reading a number of threads and admire the knowledge on this forum.

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

This is a Japanese Kyoto earthenware "satsuma" style vase based loosely after the style and coloration of Taizan Yohei IX, although not of the same quality. Very early 20thc.

Any Jewelry, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted