Featured Information on this desk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Tonia K, Apr 1, 2024.

1. Tonia K

Tonia K New Member

Hi, all.

I was looking for information on this desk. How old do you think it is? And, do you like it?

I like the simple lines, but I’ve also seen others with more ‘intricate’ designs and I don’t know what makes these desks more valuable.

Thank you. F450FC4E-9686-4E34-9DC3-58ED4FF74802.jpeg EFF9CF8B-6200-44EE-8F73-11DDA27A3B01.jpeg E55B2A89-8AB8-479E-97A0-B421BCCAF82D.jpeg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id guess 1900 give or take a decade. I like these,but sadly their isnt the market for them there once was.

Tonia K, Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Best feature in my estimation is the birdseye maple in the writing surface. My favorite wood.

I would call this a secretary, although they are often fitted with drawers beneath or on top.

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Very simple style with Queen Anne legs. Sometimes called a lady's secretary. I doubt if any earlier than 1900 and probably pre-WWI. Looks like the birds eye maple veneer has been stripped off the front. Makes the appeal and value negligible. As much as it pains me to say it, would be a good candidate for paint.

5. Tonia K

Tonia K New Member

thank you for your responses from this clueless antique admirer :)

johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  6. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Maybe outside paint, leave the inside writing surface, then paint the drawers inside and whatnot. Inside writing surface is too pretty.

Tonia K likes this.
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Call me crazy but since the front is already kind of ruined Id find a nice pretty painting and put it on there.

Tonia K and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted