Featured information requested on this lady with a tea cup

Discussion in 'Art' started by Atlantic Jim, Apr 15, 2019.

1. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yes even with my bad eyesight, I can see it's signed. The fastest method for oil paint to fade or wear off - is if has been applied over varnished paint and then not varnished. I think that may have been what happened here, and if so, there's no bringing that back to legibility for any reasonable price.

Keep in mind, the person to have signed "after the fact" of the varnishing of the painting, may not even be the one who painted it.

2. Atlantic Jim

Atlantic Jim Active Member

Interesting. Why would someone varnish what looks to me to be a very well done oil painting? Are you guys able to locate any information on the karlbach gallery ? Google has failed me

scoutshouse likes this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sniped!

Debora

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

7. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Varnishing is a normal part of the process and would have been done by the artist.

8. Atlantic Jim

Great find. Ty. Based on that you've got to figure that frame was at least $350 in 1996. I'd love to know more about this lady in the painting. She's run her course with me. Christie's and skinner weren't interested so I guess I'll try it on eBay unless you guys have a better idea

scoutshouse likes this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Can you get any closer, clearer shot of signature area?

scoutshouse and Jivvy like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Personally, I think the frame is more interesting than the painting which appears to be a rather run-of-the-mill genre scene.

Debora

scoutshouse and antidiem like this.
  11. Atlantic Jim

I'll give it a shot. Will use the saliva trick too cause it appears I have nothing to lose

scoutshouse and i need help like this.
  12. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yes that is correct. That's why I'd question any signature signed on top of a varnish layer anyway.

agreed

scoutshouse likes this.
  13. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

photo_1555696506615.jpg I tried playing around with the image, but really need a hi-res file... If it's small enough dimensionally you can use higher resolution.

i need help likes this.
  14. Atlantic Jim

Ok I'll work on that over the weekend. Gonna have a few more fun pieces to add soon too :)

15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I think it's a copy of a famous painting - I don't know which - and it was sold in a home decor store. I have a copy of a detail of Rembrandt's Man with a Golden Helmet in nearly the same frame and I know it came from a store. When you look at it up close, it looks like brush strokes. IMG_2126.jpg

16. Atlantic Jim

Except it has karlbach gallery paper along the back and he made frames inspired by past famous art

scoutshouse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted