Featured Inherited a Squash Blossom necklace, need some assistance plz

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by MommaHenn, Jul 30, 2020.

1. MommaHenn

MommaHenn Member

EEFEB667-B9E6-46F2-BEF5-343A16D2EFEB.jpeg C047DC6B-2CEC-449B-886E-8061B044498D.jpeg
    Here’s a closer look from each side....it looks like some sort of adhesive, possibly?

KSW, judy, Any Jewelry and 1 other person like this.
  2. MommaHenn

MommaHenn Member

I truly appreciate all of the comments and nostalgic pics...I think I remember watching that episode ;)

KSW, judy, Any Jewelry and 1 other person like this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It's an epoxy like JB Weld,they used it for a backing on thinner stones.

KSW, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  4. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I think it’s just matrix but let @Hollyblue (and all take a look). If so, you’re OK but if you’re selling it I’d sure give a gentle wiggle to all stones and clearly show closeups (your pictures are great) of each setting- a few to a picture so there’s no misunderstandings. I see so much NA jewelry (particularly bracelets) that are missing one stone which is a deal breaker for me as I just can’t do projects although many people are fine with taking on restorations.

I see Hollyblue said it’s a repair. Just disclose if you’re selling it but do check for tightness of all stones. That one stone wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me.

KSW, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It's not a repair,it was common practice for thinner stones and those with uneven bases.With the taller bezels sawdust and cardboard were used so all the stones looked the height/thickness when mounted into the bezels.

6. MommaHenn

MommaHenn Member

Any ideas on which tribe might have made this and any thoughts on a possible value in it’s current condition?

KSW and judy like this.
  7. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Values aren’t discussed here but you can easily look at SOLD auctions for Vintage Navajo Sand Cast Squash Blossom Necklaces.
    You can start with ebay and then look at other venues but keep in mind that asking prices mean nothing. Consider completed auctions only. Start with a search of Sand Cast Squash Blossoms and you can refine your search from there.

KSW, judy, MommaHenn and 1 other person like this.
  8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

And just want to add that if sold on the internet you cannot call it Navajo (even though it is IMO because it is unsigned and you can’t attribute it to a specific artist) according to the 1990 Indian Arts and Crafts Act so as you research values also research Vintage Squash Blossoms without the tribal affiliation.

Listing it legally could be Vintage Southwestern Turquoise Silver Sand Cast Squash Blossom Handmade Beads Necklace or similar.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Yup....filler....& like I said the artist used what stones were at hand without a thought for grinding or having them match each other.......

judy, MommaHenn and reader like this.
  10. komokwa

It's a very smart item...but not the highest quality known to man !! :playful::playful:

judy, MommaHenn and reader like this.
  11. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree. Fashionable, genuine but made for the tourist.

12. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

You know I didn't even see any back then - I just did the designs on paper and the silversmiths made the pieces.

I did make original jewellery at that time, it was sold on the carts in Vancouver's Gastown, dated and initialed "LL" and the silver pieces were marked sterling too. One of the silversmiths who were cranking out southwestern stuff for the Bay, Eatons and Woodwards saw my stuff, liked my original designs and offered me the design job at his shop. I only did it for a couple of months though ..went back to making my own stuff.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    judy, MommaHenn, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  13. MommaHenn

MommaHenn Member

Are there any kind of clues that would distinguish pieces mass produced for sale to tourists vs pieces made for the tribal community but, somehow ended up finding its way off a reservation?

judy likes this.
  14. MommaHenn

MommaHenn Member

TY...that much I did know. Also, if your race is anything other than NA, you can’t use “Indian”, “NA” or “Native American” either.

I have no plans to sell it as I would like to have it passed down to all first born daughters. If history classes back in the day would have added “antiques” and “genealogy” to the curriculum, I would have paid more attention in class. Now, most of my time is spent learning history of certain pieces I’ve acquired over the years and genealogy,

judy likes this.
  15. MommaHenn

MommaHenn Member

Values are all over the board; I do usually start with eBay but feel that a more steady value can be obtained from an auction house. Bad thing tho with the auction house is there’s usually a fee to be registered and you need to be registered to see the sold price of past auctions.

judy likes this.
  16. reader

reader Well-Known Member

With respect, if you’re not selling it I see no point in researching values other than to get a general range. It’s a wearable piece to pass down in your family but is not of great value. IMO your piece would sell in the midrange of non historic 60s-70s ebay pieces. I find ebay to be a pretty good gauge of current market values.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  17. komokwa

One clue would be the hand work and quality...........but really what yer asking takes years of experience .....;):)

reader and judy like this.
  18. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, under the Indian Arts and Crafts Act of 1990, the tribal affiliation refers to that of the maker, not the seller or owner.

That means anyone, regardless of race, can advertise or sell something as Native American, Indian, or from a specific tribe...but only if he/she knows the tribal affiliation of the maker. And guessing isn't close enough, you should be able to prove any claims.

The IACA covers crafts produced after 1935, but better to follow the intent of the law, even if one isn't positive of the exact date when something was made.

19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Mass produced is not handmade. Navajo made squash blossom necklaces are handmade. Most NA jewellery was made to be sold, and most buyers were and still are tourists, shops and galleries. Nothing wrong with that.
    The distinction that is important to most people is Native made v. non-Native made.

For a while the Navajo themselves used to prefer pieces that were pretty heavy from the weight of the silver and the stones, so they could be used as an investment as well as the symbolic and magico-Shamanic value, and sign of cultural identity.
    On the other hand the early pieces of the 19th and early 20th century were relatively lightweight with very few or no stones. That is also the case with the squash blossom necklaces of that period.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    komokwa, PortableTreasures and reader like this.
  20. reader

reader Well-Known Member

That’s so true AJ. I definitely consider myself a collector of NA jewelry (on a very small scale) and have let go of most of my really old pieces as they’re just too heavy to wear. Most were bought out of pawn at trading posts back in the day when old pawn was old pawn. I’ll wear heavy vintage belts and bracelets but not necklaces or earrings and forget the old coin pieces, love them but can’t take the weight. I let go of some beauties!

Just enjoy your squash OP and make sure it’s worn by you or your family. It is not worth insuring or worrying about wearing it other than to check that the stringing is secure.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted