Featured Inherited Brooch no markings

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by LittleLACollector, Feb 21, 2022.

1. Hi, I inherited this from my Grandmother, she was born in Kansas 1900, British heritage. I remember her wearing it on her blazer lapel as far back as I can remember. I regret not asking the history of it while she was still alive. No markings I can see. 3"x 1.5" brooch3IMG_5892.jpg brooch2IMG_5891.jpg brooch1IMG_5890.jpg brooch4IMG_5893.jpg

Figtree3, Happy!, KSW and 5 others like this.
  2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

That is so pretty!!

KSW, judy, bercrystal and 1 other person like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That looks bench-made almost. Possible custom work; big factories didn't do the fancy stuff in the back. I expected it to be a dress or fur clip (two pointy spikes instead of one, and no clasp) instead of a pin. If the maker didn't sign it, and he deserved a spanking for THAT, you may never find out whodunnit. Unless a historical society in her hometown has records of local businesses?

Figtree3, KSW, judy and 1 other person like this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's lovely

KSW, judy and LittleLACollector like this.
  5. Thank you, ya, I have never seen jewelry with all that craziness behind it! I guess I should have added my Grandparents moved to California (Los Angeles) in the 1920's so it could be from anywhere.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    KSW and judy like this.
  6. evelyb30

I have, and that one wasn't signed either, but it was sterling. I'd check the metal on this. If it's mixed odds go way up on it being done by a local maker.

7. evelyb30

Those stones look like 1930s/Deco era blue for sure. Either the brooch is from then or during WWII when they used what they could find. Most glass bits came from Czechoslovakia and none came here from there during WWII or for a while afterward. Unless some GI found a factory and liberated a bag or two! I can see that happening if Dad or a family member made jewelry.

KSW, judy, bercrystal and 1 other person like this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I lightened it up for the mark hunters.

brooch4IMG_5893.jpg brooch3IMG_5892.jpg

KSW, judy, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've seen that kind of frame back on 30s Austrian pieces. Not the twiddly wires so much. I agree it may well be silver. Almost looks as though it's a marriage.

10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Sure looks like a (sterling) HOBE brooch. The style is very similar. The only thing throwing me off is the back, but could be in the style of HOBE if not the real deal.

Figtree3, Happy!, KSW and 3 others like this.
  11. OMG you were right! I have never heard of Hobe so I looked on ebay, and lookie what I found! Same swirly back! HobeScreenshot 2022-02-21 164042.jpg

Figtree3, KSW and judy like this.
  12. Lucille.b

Ah, was just posting this one here from Ebay, too. HOBE did a lot with sterling and 1/20th 14K gold, with similar leaves and flowers, and often they had a few larger rhinestones as features. Some have a more plain looking back, but here is one with the swirls.

(Photos taken from auction below).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203780906841?hash=item2f7249df59:g:o9MAAOSweuZh01eh

hobe1.jpg

Back:

hobe2.jpg

Figtree3, KSW, judy and 3 others like this.
  13. KSW, judy, bercrystal and 1 other person like this.
  14. evelyb30

That would be it! I've never seen a Hobè piece that old.

15. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hello @LittleLACollector & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

That is a truly wonderful piece of jewelry. It does need a little bit of rubbing with a Sunshine cloth though to make it shine. ;) :happy::happy:

I wonder if it originally had one of those little triangle markings that fell off at some point. :confused:

16. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like the piece has been damaged and some what repaired.

KSW and judy like this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Nice sleuthing! We don't get Hobe much here. I'd think it lost its tag.

Figtree3, KSW, KikoBlueEyes and 2 others like this.
  18. I don't see any damage, do you mean the twisty wires? We discovered that some older pieces were made that way.

KSW likes this.
  19. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like solder areas where they don't belong,lower circle area was"repaired" maybe.

brooch4IMG_58.jpg

Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  20. Lucille.b

Might just be small spots of light tarnish on LittleLA's brooch?

I had to dig through my things but realized I have a Hobe brooch very similar.

pin3.jpg

pin2.jpg

Figtree3, Xristina, KSW and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted